16 | Alliance (I)

2412 Iclis 10, Velpa

Reeca slapped Elred's hand away from the mechanism being built in front of them. She craned her neck at the rough ceiling of earth above them. This was where Elred brought her so they could carry out Reeca's end of the deal.

Elred chewed on her lip and played with the tips of her hair. Reeca understood that anxiety enough. She glanced at the ceiling again. Who knew how much time they had left before the Valkalin family sniffed them out of here?

Would it be execution waiting for them in the end?

The scent of earth and wet stones filled the room and scratched the insides of Reeca's nose. It's not unpleasant but it sure made her want to sneeze. Who knew what hour it was in the outside world? She should hurry.

Reeca fished the maximizer from the space on her armor and set to work. "Polish a mirror for me," she instructed Elred, who nodded and summoned her magic. The sound of glass shards tinkling as they arranged into a flat sheet filled Reeca's ears as she bent down with a roll of parchment and began sketching a rough scale of the island and its territories and borders.

"Here," Elred passed Reeca the glass mirror and with a few of Reeca's weaving energy, the soil formed a wall around them and ate at the edge of the mirror, fixing it in place. The parchment map of the island joined the mirror nailed on the wall. Reeca bit her lip. Everything was just hypothetical and she didn't know if her map was even accurate or if it would even show the thrones.

But she had to try, anyway.

Reeca splayed her hand against the mirror and closed her eyes. With her weaving magic, she connected it to the mechanisms in the maximizer. Cyrdel did a good job in creating a device doing magic created from natural materials instead of the usual machines that did natural things using natural materials. Whether Cyrdel liked it or not, Reeca had messed with the maximizer more than once, too.

Reeca pressed the maximizer into the mirror, feeding its copper metal weaving magic to meld with the glass. The square lump of metal sank slowly into the surface and Reeca was careful not to touch the strings of metal branching and joining at the nodes from the center and its sides.

Elred's hand slipped into Reeca's periphery and she slapped the shard fairy's palm before she could even touch the mechanism. Reeca blew a breath. Now, for the hard part.

Reeca shut her eyes, drowning her world in a dark landscape. Her weaving energy thrummed in her temples as she slowly descended into the trail dimension. Loud, rustling noises rang in her ears and scratched her sinuses. She peeked one eye open to find it's Elred's skirts shifting in the silence as the shard fairy started pacing. A sigh escaped Reeca's lips. What was Elred hoping to accomplish?

"Sit tight," Reeca hissed to the shard fairy who gave her a raised eyebrow. Reeca's lips curved down. "We don't have much time, remember? Now, sit tight and let me concentrate."