Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"So, where to?" Ethan asked as he started the engine and it roared magnificently.

"Alphabet city." Audrey answered trying to pull the seatbelt over.

"How do you manage to go to work every day without a car." He asked accelerating the speed.

"Not everyone is financially stable as you to be able to buy a place at this prime location. And I do have a car, it's a van. But it is currently being used by the staffs, so I am car-less now." She rebuffed.

"You let your staff use the van while you took a cab? That's... thoughtful of you."

"Thanks, and so are you, to give your former staff a lift while making an extensive detour." She smiled at him who glanced at her briefly. Why is she always a sunshine?

"So, I see that you are doing exceptionally well in your new business." He stated.

"It's developing. I still have a lot to learn and there are still so much that we can improve." She was sceptical whether he was sincerely asking or being sarcastic.

"Yes, true. You might need to improve on your time management to avoid rushing from places and bump into others on the way." He teased.

"Oh gosh! Are we really going through that again? Obviously you weren't paying attention to where you're going as well." She refuted.

"Clearly, you're at fault."

"You are unbelievable." She scoffed.

"And you are bold."

"What do you mean?" She asked looking at him and for the first time studied his strong features. His sleek mid-length haircut was combed back. His thick eyebrow and ice blue eyes staring sharply at the road ahead. His ivory skin and clean-shaven face shows off his angular cheekbone. His luscious lip turned into a smirk which alerts her and brought her back to the conversation.

"You're bold to leave your position as my Managing director to be a chef. Not many people have the courage to do what you did. I couldn't say if it was a foolish or wise decision but looking at you now, it suits you." He praised.

"Wow. Thank you. It means a lot for the great Mr Ethan Loyd to be able to say that." She said proudly giving him her best smile as he glanced and gave her an aversion look.

"Your coq au vin the other night was near perfection. And I have tasted quite a few Michelin star coq au vin." He added.

"Near?! I am not bragging but I do make the perfect coq au vin. Mamie had shared her secret recipe and everyone loved my coq au vin." She defended emphasizing on the word the perfect.

"Not from the last one I ate it's not."

"Oh the one from Russell's event? In my defence, my supplier ran out of stock of the red brandy that I've usually requested and it was my head chef on the task that day, not to understate her expertise. I shall cook for you again the perfect coq au vin and then we'll see what you have to say this time." She justified giving him a challenging look.

"First, I'll have to take you to the best coq au vin that I've ever tasted. No, it's too far, the second best coq au vin which is located in New York. Tomorrow evening. Up for the challenge, Miss Chef?" He said casually glancing at her.

"You bet, I am. I shall proof you wrong to underestimate me, Mr Loyd." She challenged.

"Be ready at 7. And call me Ethan." He parked the car outside her home, went out the car and opened the passenger door.

"Thank you for the ride tonight. And I'll be ready at 7. Goodnight Ethan." She said confirming that he was serious about the dinner tomorrow.

"Good night, Chef Audrey." He waved and made sure she went inside the house before driving off.

Did he just asked me out?

He's just showing his version of best coq au vin, dumb ass!

Why would he do that? I'm just a regular chef, and he's.. ETHAN LOYD!

Keep it in your head. You're just having dinner. Nothing more.

WITH HIM!

Get your head together! Keep it together woman!

She argued with herself as soon as she closed the door and saw his car drove off.