Jacklyn | Storm

* b r o o k l y n *

CRACK!

I jolt in my bed as the thunder strikes against my window. A purple flash, an assault of rain, and worst of all, the loud unexpected crash that shakes the whole house. Despite the mountain of pillows and blankets I've surrounded myself with, it sends ice through my veins. 

I've always hated storms, and the one outside my window is the worst I've experienced in years. Proper apocalyptic vibes. I'm filled with the childish desire to run into my mum's bed. But unfortunately, I'm an adult. I don't live with my mum anymore, I live with four lads who will undoubtedly rip into me if they ever catch wind of my irrational childhood fear. So I whimper, alone in my bed, squeezing my eyes shut and praying silently that it will pass soon. 

I whimper as a particularly loud crash rattles the glass in my window panes. Then, as if from a horror movie, a shadowy figure appears in my doorframe. 

"AHHH!" I scream, diving under the covers. 

"Ah! Brook, what the fuck?!" Comes a familiar voice. 

"Jack?" 

Tentatively, I peek one eye out of my blanket fortress, watching as the shadowy figure comes into focus. 

"W-what are you doing here?" I ask shakily, "It's l-late."

"I'm checking on you, you gimp. Because you don't like storms." Jack says brusquely, sauntering over to the bed. I'm shocked that he's here. 

"I told you that? And you remembered?" 

Jack just shrugs, scooting up the bed to sit next to me atop the covers. I can't believe he's decided to check on me- that he even remembered about my petty little fear. It's so...not Jack. I get a strange fluttering in my stomach that's not caused by the storm. 

"So how are you?" He asks softly.

Looking at the genuine concern in his eyes, I feel safe enough to answer truthfully. 

"I'm scared." I admit. 

"Come on, we'll play some games, yeah?" Jack suggests, reaching over to my bedside table where the PS4 controllers are sitting on the charger. He throws one onto my stomach. 

"Up." He commands.

"You don't mind staying with me?" I ask, locking eyes with him. Jack stares back at me for a second then turns away, awkward. 

"I couldn't sleep anyway." He mumbles in response, focussing on the TV now as he loads up a game for us both to play. Keeping my eyes on him, I gradually pull myself up into a sitting position next to him, feeling just a little safer there with him next to me. 

We play for a while, and it almost feels like it's working. We're sniping at each other like always, I'm even laughing at his frustration when I can't get something right. It's a good distraction. But even Jack can't keep the thunder at bay.

CRACK!

I jolt as the entire room lights up, forgetting about the game completely as my breathing picks up speed. 

"Woah, Brook. You're okay, you're okay." Jack consoles, pulling me into him. I shake against his chest, dreading the lightning that I know is about to split the skies. 

"I'm scared, Jack." I whine, gripping onto him tightly. 

"You're safe, Brooky. I'm here." He doesn't often call me 'Brooky', there is only one other time I can recall- his birthday, after I'd surprised him with a record from his favourite band. We didn't usually do gifts anymore, but I'd seen it out and had to buy it for him. "Thanks, Brooky" had been his response.