Randy | Ocean Eyes

A/N: Fair warning, this is long. Grab a snack. Or a vibrator. Enjoy x 

* a n d y *

It's one of those exciting college nights where the air is hanging with promise. Clear skies, good vibes, a group of mates and no blueprint for the evening ahead. My best friend, Jess, walking beside me, our hands linked and swinging between us. 

We're walking around the little town near our uni, Jess and I and the others, an eclectic bunch made up of friends and friends of friends. There's Jack, who've I've known since high school and his girlfriend Katie who've I've known almost just as long. Then there's Sarah, who I only met this year in my first year English class, and her hot friend Rye who's tagging along probably to get in Sarah's pants. Rye is annoyingly gorgeous on a Greek god kind of level, and I have a massive crush on him, which in my experience means he's as straight as they come.

There's a thrill in the air as our little group meanders down a road that's got more people than cars, a lined up row of bars spilling out into the street all the way down. We pass them one after another, none of us making a decision to go inside, all of us wordlessly waiting for the right place to choose us. 

Jess gasps at something she's just seen and grabs my arm, swinging me around. 

"Andy! Look, open mic night!" 

My eyes find the sign that she's pointing at. I read it aloud. 

"Open mic night. All welcome if you can hold a tune. Billie Eilish Thursday." I frown at the last part. "Wait, so it's Billie Eilish songs only?"

"And they do this every Thursday?" Katie giggles. 

"That sounds cheerful." Sarah says, laced with sarcasm, smirking at Rye. 

"These alty music kids will be the death of me." Rye sighs, smirking right back at her. 

"Hey! Andy is one of those kids." Jess pipes up. I roll my eyes. Thanks, Jess.

"And Billie is a vibe," Jack insists, defending his queen, "don't talk smack about her."

"Plus, Andy has a beautiful voice. So we're going in." Jess decides for all of us. Though I hear a groan from Sarah, none of us disobey, following Jess inside the all too stereotypically hipster establishment. 

Embarrassed as I was about it after Rye and Sarah's comments, I have to admit my girl knows me. This is exactly my kind of place. Beers on tap at the bar. A soft golden glow lighting the whole place. A room filled with cosy looking mismatched bean bags and armchairs around tables, all facing towards a tiny stage littered with an assortment of random instruments. 

Currently the stage is occupied by a girl singing a sultry rendition of 'Bad Guy'. Jess runs up to scrawl my name on the list side of stage, while the rest of us make ourselves at home on a couple of sofas. 

"So you sing?" Rye asks me, sliding into the seat next to me. I actually jump, not used to his face being this close to mine. "Sorry, did I frighten you?" He smiles teasingly at my reaction. 

"Yeah, didn't see you there," I brush off awkwardly, "but yeah, I sing a bit. You?"

"Also a bit." Rye says with a small smile, an unreadable expression in his deep brown eyes. I accidentally get lost in them for a second before I'm thankfully cut off by an interruption. 

"Rye, I got us beers," Sarah slams an overflowing pint glass on the table before Rye.

"Thanks, darling." He says pleasantly, the familiar flirty language shaking me out of my trance until Rye slides the drink over to me. "I don't drink beer, do you want this?"