Mack | The Broken Omega | Part 2

* m i k e y *

I turned on the lamp on my bedside table, too bored for sleep. I'd been spending too much time in my room lately, mostly due to the frosty atmosphere that had fallen over the house since Rye's old pal moved in. Since that first introduction, the acerbic Irish omega had barely spoken a word to me. But the tension in the air was palpable. He didn't trust me. And I hated what I saw mirrored in his pupils whenever he looked at me.

Just another alpha that was going to break him.

If only he knew. If only he'd let me be good to him. An omega as beautiful and sharp-tongued as him, I would have treated him like royalty.

But Jack was an asshole, so he got the silent treatment instead. So far, the system was working for both of us.

So effective was this routine, that I was so shocked to see a slim figure silhouetted by the lamplight in my doorway, that I convinced myself my mind was playing tricks. I blinked a few times. He was still there.

"Jack?" I questioned the figure.

"Hi." He replied, the thick accent confirming his identity. I stared at him. I couldn't for the life of me fathom why the omega who made it clear he wanted nothing to do with me was visiting my room at night.

"What's up?" I asked, suspicion undercutting the casual question. Jack took a nervous little step forward into my room, closer to the light so I could make out more of his features. His head was hung low, eyes swimming with fear.

"Are you okay?" I asked gently, unable to help myself from being kind to the frightened omega, no matter how rude he had been to me.

"Um, okay. This isn't easy," Jack began, "but I wanted to come and apologise for how I've been acting towards you. I've been a bad omega." He added shamefully.

It only took half a second to forgive him, my wolf yearning for the beautiful boy in front of me.

"It's okay, love. From what I hear, you've got good reason not to trust alphas." I assured him kindly, scooting over to perch on the foot of my bed so I could talk to him better. Jack's eyes followed me warily as I moved closer.

"Yeah, my ex, Brooklyn. He kinda fucked me up. In multiple ways." Jack sighed, his tall frame looking impossibly small as he mentioned his ex. I felt my wolf surge with anger.

"Can't imagine ditching your omega like that. It's just wrong." I seethed.

"Yeah. And the guy he left me for- he wasn't even an Omega. How'd you think that made me feel?" Jack spat, the hurt visible in his eyes. My wolf was enraged that someone had broken this beautiful little omega like this. Who in their right mind would have rejected him?

"If you were mine-" I began, abruptly cutting myself off as I saw shock cross Jack's expression. Shit. I went too far, let myself get possessive. "Sorry, I didn't mean..." I looked at him sheepishly. I saw Jack visibly relax.

"It's okay. And thank you, for being understanding. I'm sure most alphas would have punished me for acting so disrespectful and all." He said, voice shaking.

"Is it really cliche to say 'I'm not most alphas'?" I returned, smiling at him.

Jack grinned. "Yeah, it is."

***
* j a c k *

"Something is different here." Andy noted suspiciously, eyes flicking between Mikey and I, both sat chilling in front of the TV.

He wasn't wrong. Since the night I came into his room, the tension between us had dispersed. I'd even started to slightly like Mikey as a mate. Once I'd loosened up and actually talked to the guy, I realised we actually got on pretty well. He was cool.