Randy | Cold Feet

* a n d y *

They're just jitters, I told myself. Everyone got them on their wedding day. It didn't matter how perfect he was, or how meticulously this day had been planned out, down to the very last detail. Staring forever in the face would be a terrifying experience for anyone.

"Goddamnit," I cursed, ripping the bow tie off my neck after the fiftieth failed attempt at getting it right. I decided to give up on it for the meantime, undoing the top two buttons of my dress shirt so I could breathe. Was it meant to be this fucking tight?

"You decent?" A voice called from outside, the familiarity of it causing me to squeeze my eyes shut for a second.

"Yeah," I called back, watching in the mirror as the door opened. My fiancé's best man stepped into the room, the image of dapper perfection. I ran a subtle hand across my forehead, picking up the loose droplets on sweat before I turned to face him, game face on. "Hey."

"Wow," was all he said, his eyes raking my entire frame, the heat in my cheeks intensifying under his gaze. "You look beautiful."

"Is that what you're supposed to say to a groom?" I quipped, arching an eyebrow at him, his brown eyes twinkling as he smiled.

"I don't know," he shrugged. "It's true." I swallowed thickly at his words.

"How's Sonny doing?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Bouncing off the walls," he smiled. "He can't wait to marry you."

"Me too," I replied, the words coming out at a weirdly high pitch, sounding far less sincere than I'd intended them to. He hummed thoughtfully, taking a few steps closer to me.

"You nervous?"

"Of course," I brushed off as naturally as I could. "I mean forever is a long time, right?"

"Indeed," he agreed, studying me. "But when you know, you know, right?"

"Right." I averted my gaze back to the mirror, something within his brown eyed gaze making me uncomfortable.

"You need some help with that?" He gestured to the crumpled bow tie on the chair and I nodded at him gratefully.

"Thanks."

My breathing hitched as he moved even closer to me, his hands going to my throat as he redid my shirt buttons. Slowly, one at a time, his fingers just brushing the exposed skin on my neck before he popped the collar and wrapped the tie around me. I tried to keep my breathing under control as I watched him do it, his tongue just slightly sticking out of the corner of his mouth as he concentrated. I was close enough to see the faint shadow of stubble on his jaw, and smell the heady aftershave that clung to it. "Rye..."

"Perfect," he smiled at me, smoothing out the edges with his thumbs, our eyes meeting for another torturously long moment before he pulled away, gently twisting my shoulders to face the mirror again. "There you go."

"Cufflinks too?" I asked, holding out my open sleeves towards him. He gave an amused snort.

"Was Brook not around to help you with any of this?"

"He's in the bathroom with Harper."

"Ah," Rye smirked knowingly, "love really is in the air today."

"It's been a long time since they've seen each other," I reasoned, not blaming them at all.

"'Mm," Rye agreed, "long time." The way he was looking at me made it clear he wasn't talking about Brook and Harper. Without meaning to, my eyes fell from his brown eyes to his full lips, his tongue swiping across the bottom one before I pulled myself away from him. Shit, Andy, what are these thoughts? It's your wedding day, for God's sake.