Dragon Pox

When Anna got up the next morning she found that everyone was gone, except for Queenie.

Walking into the kitchen, still in her pajamas, she saw her older sister cleaning the dining table they had used the night before.

"Where is everyone?" Anna asked.

"Oh, they all went to find those creatures that Mr. Scamander lost."

Anna squinted her eyes, "Creatures?"

"Oh, yes. Teenie finally told me all about it right before they left. One of them bit Jacob when it escaped from the suitcase. Now they're out looking for them." She twirled her wand, making soap bubbles appear on the table surface. "Tina told them she would help."

Anna nodded to herself and went back into her bedroom to get ready for her days work at the hospital. She tried to make sense of what she had just learned, however her thoughts were soon occupied by the events that resided at her place of occupation.

What had happened the day before was horrible, and she wasn't looking forward to today.

When she apparated to the front desk of the infirmary, she went for her usual stack of charts that sat in her spot on the counter. The top file was the one she had been dreading.

There was a little girl with a severe case of dragon pox and her outlook wasn't in her favor.

Just the day before, the small child's mother passed away from the same illness.

What practically no one at the hospital knew was that Anna's parents had actually died from dragon pox. It was the worst experience of her life. It traumatized her completely, being the youngest when it happened.

After the fact, she didn't speak for an entire year. Now she always prayed that she would never get a patient that had dragon pox, but evidently the odds were not on her side.

When the mother of the child passed away on her watch, just hours before Anna left her shift the night before, she unsuccessfully tried to pull herself together – soon breaking down in the nearby bathroom. Anna saw it coming of course - she could see the signs. But what she wasn't prepared for were the flashbacks of when the same thing had happened to her parents.

Her family in a similar situation, the disease progressed very quickly. Before they knew it, they were stuck in a hospital, locked away for fear of it spreading to others. Anna and her sisters watched from outside a glass window as their parents struggled on their last words. Took their last breaths.

Nearby healers had to drag them from the room when it happened. From that moment on they only had each other to cling onto.

Present time, Anna had made her way down the hall and was knocking on the door to the little girl's room. She produced her wand and flicked it towards herself, producing a light pink glow that covered her body - protecting her from the contagious infection.

Walking inside, there laying on the bed was the small girl. She couldn't have been more than five years old.

Her appearance gave away the severity of her condition. Her skin was tinged green and many purple blotches and spots covered every inch of her. Her head was hot and her eyes drooped with fatigue. Breathing heavily, the little child moaned at the appearance of another person.

"Hello, Sarah. How are we doing today?" Anna walked over and checked her vitals.

"I want my mommy."

Anna closed her eyes and took a breath, "Your skin tone looks a bit lighter. I'll inform your head healer." She wrote a note on the patient clipboard on the table next to her.