Thunderbird Cure

Soren shouted from over his shoulder, "Anna, go home! You don't want to see this."

Instead Anna walked over and watched helplessly as Soren followed protocol and sent spell after spell to try and help poor Sarah to get her breathing right.

Soon the tremor stopped and the little girl was completely still, but her eyes never fluttered open and her breaths never picked up. Finally her heart rate stopped. And so did Anna's.

It was like a fuzz had covered itself over her ears. All sound became muffled and her hands moved in slow motion as she knelt over the bed and touched Sarah's face, rubbing her cheeks.

Anna felt the stinging tears as she knew they'd come, and continued silently praying to save the child.

In her daze she didn't notice the mass of other healers appearing to assist in any way they could. They stood away as Anna took up an entire side of the bed and Soren at the other. He gave the last attempt and did the charm that engulfed Sarah in a warm, pulsing golden glow.

In those tense few seconds there was no noise, no rush. There was just Anna and Sarah, trying to fight to stay alive.

When the spell didn't work and the golden glow faded, something broke. Something in Anna broke. She turned tear filled eyes to Soren and whispered sharply, "Do it again."

"Anna . . ."

"I said do it again!" She glanced behind Soren's shoulder and saw what she knew would come. She saw them. Gasping slightly, she let a tear fall as she looked back down at the girl and Soren tried again.

This time, almost instantly, small Sarah took a deep breath. And Anna was all over the child, grazing her fingertips across her face and down her arms, making sure everything was perfectly fine. She began to hiccup on her tears, pulling a painful smile as she attempted to laugh with joy.

But then Sarah moaned and muttered, opening her eyes ever so slowly, "Mommy?"

And Anna paused. Taking a shuttering breath she felt Soren's arms pull her away. She held some restraint, but was so weak that Soren easily took her back. This time letting the tears fall freely.

Still transfixed in her horrid day dream, the swarm of people taking over the care of Sarah blurred Anna's vision and only confused her further. She tried to look back at the little girl being overwhelmed with people and cried out to her.

"She needs air! Give her some space!" But only strained squeaks escaped her throat. Soren stopped her abrupt movements to get to the girl. He slowly made his way through the group of people and Anna cried.

She blinked her full eyes and attempted to find the small child again, but all she saw were the buzzing and frantic movements of Healers – and them standing there sickly, watching her with pale gazes.

Once they made it to the hallway, Anna turned into an embrace with Soren and gasped. Unable to sob, she took short breaths, her eyes wide and leaking with tears. She continued to hiccup as she whispered, "Take me home." Then more harshly, "Take me home!"

"Okay – okay," he brushed her hair away and immediately apparated her to the apartment.

There they went right inside, expecting the burst of questions from Queenie or Tina. But no one was in the living room. There was only silence. And Soren took it as his opportunity to say a quick goodbye before getting back.

"I have to go. Don't worry, I'm still on the night shift and I'll watch her. You'll be okay. Everything will be okay." He attempted to look into her ghostly eyes, but saw nothing but his glassy reflection.