On Clinic Duty

The light smell of disinfectant and other various states of patients filled the glistening hallways of the hospital. Anna fiddled with the knot at the back of her apron and the pins holding her white cap upon her curls – pure excitement showered her, quite as if this was her first day being hired for the position.

Many of the other healers of different ranks whispered behind their hands as she passed, but that was not going to dampen her sights today. In the weeks between her forced medical leave and now, Anna built her tolerance; she mellowed the swarming sea that was created by the constant paranoia of whether dragon pox would devastate another family.

Newt and the case had become her stable – her cornerstone. His light touches and snuck glances fueled her heart and the kind actions of the many creatures within his suitcase brought her beloved affection that got her excited to come home each day.

Her beautiful locket of fine craftsmanship hung lovingly from her neck – Newt's words etched deep within the side of the metal.

Anna rounded another corner and found Chief Abasi standing precisely where they designated to meet for the day's work.

"Chief," she greeted. "I'm beyond ready to start. I've missed my residents very..."

"You're to work in the clinic today."

She halted her smile, "What?"

"I'm assigning you to the clinic until I see it fit for you to return to your full position," he flicked his wand through multiple files before him.

Anna mumbled a few disoriented words before forming a proper sentence, "Alright." She huffed before disregarding the retort bubbling inside of her, "I understand. I'm sure Poppy will be happy to see me."

Abasi turned to her slightly with a skeptical brow at her poise of handling the request, "Just be sure she actually tends to the patients that come in." He shook his head and let a smile slip, "If I hadn't made a promise to her dear mother on her deathbed, I might've moved her on by now."

"Thank you, Abasi. Should I check in at..."

"There's no need. I'll get a full report from some of the heads," he finished waving over his paperwork and turned his stance towards her. "How are you doing, Anna? You certainly have more color in your cheeks since the last time I saw you."

She sighed at the smirk growing on his features, "Okay, okay – you were right. I just needed to take a well-needed break from the work."

He clapped his hands together, "Maybe me having the title of Chief actually means something."

They both shared a laugh before he excused himself to other meetings and matters, leaving Anna with a slight fuming fire in her chest. But she held her ground and instead felt the energy jitter into her fingertips, finding them bounce against her apron.

Within almost an instant, Anna turned on her heel and went not towards the adjoining clinic building, but down the hall towards the patient rooms.

Another minute later and she was right outside a very familiar residence, however it was now covered corner to corner with quarantined spells and charms. Only the highest of rank was able to enter the doorway.

"Adelaide?" Another familiarity struck her from behind as it continued. "Anna... what do you think you're doing here?"

She found Soren running a hand through his dark hair, "Oh, hello." She noticed the updated badge gleaming on his chest, "I see you've been promoted."

He glanced toward his shirt, "Ah, yes. I've become the head of... Miss. Sarah's care. I needed a higher rank to even get into her room."

Anna found herself biting her lip as she looked at the title, "Well, good for you. I've missed talking to you about the patients and the goings-on at the hospital." She smiled but found him still looking at her quizzically.