Silver Tongue

Anna appeared on the scene with Newt not far behind; there was chaos ensuing before her. MACUSA workers and healers alike were sprinting about attempting to assist in any way they could. The building itself was heavily damaged, the walls crumbling and littering the street.

"What could have done this?" she breathed.

Newt shook his head, "No creature that could have escaped my case."

A group of Aurors dashed past them, wands raised at a few of the gathering No-Maj, no doubt to Obliviate them. A similar group of wizards were running to the hoards of people huddling by emergency vehicles the No-Maj provided to treat their injuries.

"Anna?"

She whipped around and found the Chief advancing her, "Abasi. What happened here?"

He appeared slightly out of breath, his wand ready at his side, "Something attacked the No-Maj meeting. Something inhuman - it caused all this damage and even killed the new Senator himself. His body is scarred in a way I've never seen."

Newt became fully alert and didn't hesitate to ask, "Can I see him?"

The Chief stood puzzled for a second before leading them to a different location on the street, "Of course, I'm assuming you're a friend of Adelaide's?"

"Yes, he's an excellent tracker and specializes in cases of oddity," Anna remarked, following briskly to the covered body.

Abasi lifted the sheet only to show the face. It was horribly marked just as the Chief stated; with a drained, darkened face and unseeing eyes, "If you could provide any insight on what may have happened we'd be very grateful."

Newt knelt down and studied the face, gesturing for Anna to kneel next to him, "I believe I know what did this. No simple creature could have left marks like these. It must have been an Obscurus."

She whispered back so the Chief couldn't hear, "What's an Obscurus?"

"I have one locked in my case. They're immensely powerful beings. I'll have to explain later - there are people here who need your help."

Anna straightened out and addressed Abasi, "Where do you need me?"

The man took a deep breath, "Healers are treating No-Maj over by those vehicle contraptions. I believe they call them ambulances; they keep making an awful racket. Just be sure you wipe their memories and send them home when you're done. The Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes should handle the building damage and any news of the incident in other programs."

She nodded and ran for the so called 'ambulances,' leaving Newt's shoulder and extracting her wand.

Newt soon stood from the body and put a hand to his chin, puzzling over any possibility of where an Obscurus could be lurking in New York. His train of thought was suddenly halted when another hand grasped his shoulder, one that was much harsher than Anna's delicate one.

It was that Soren fellow from the hospital. Newt immediately bent his head and addressed the ground, "Oh, hello, nice to see you again."

"What are you doing here?" the young healer asked, flexing his arms.

Newt gulped, "Um... well, Adelaide was sent for and she asked me to accompany her to see if I could be of any assistance." He dared a small glance at the larger man.

"Anna actually asked for you to come?" He held a glimpse of a flame in his gaze and turned to find Anna waving her wand at a group of stunned No-Maj. He had a sudden thought spark in him and diminish the jealousy, "I would have never thought that she... well, seeing as you're sort of... I'm not worried. I just hope you don't get your hopes up."