Someone You Thought You Knew

The cot was a lot more comfortable than Anna remembered it being. In fact, it was plush. The cot was not supposed to be plush.

She opened her groggy eyes and found herself not looking at the slanted and uncoordinated wood of Newt's shed, but at the cracking ceiling of her own bedroom.

This realization shot her into a sitting position, finding bright light seeping from the window and the growing noise she was attempting to figure.

It sounded like crying - hysterical crying.

Within an instant, Adelaide coursed through her door to peer down the hallway into the open living room. On the couch resided Queenie with her head in her hands, her shoulders visibly shaking with sobs. Tina leaned against the fireplace, a shell shock gaze about her as a trio of MACUSA officials stood amongst them.

"Adelaide Goldstein?" the unfamiliar man asked her.

"What's going on?"

He extended his hand, "Prospero Kersey. I've been assigned your case by Madam Picquery along with my sister here, Pleione."

The tall, slender woman beside him nodded to her; the two had the same stormy cold grey eyes. 

"And of course you remember Abernathy who was supposed to be keeping an eye on your sisters, but will now be joining us momentarily while we address..."

"Will someone tell me what's going on? Why is Queenie crying?"

Tina could hardly turn her eyes to her sister when she muttered, "They left. Newt filed a report at MACUSA of the property damages and was deported back to England. He obliviated Jacob before he went. It's all written here in a note."

Anna found her head shaking involuntarily, "No... they wouldn't do that to us. They would never just up and leave!"

"Jacob's gone!" Queenie cried, momentarily lifting her head, "He didn't even say goodbye."

"Newt wrote that he thought it would be easier for us if we didn't see them go. Make it quick and painless," Tina mumbled the last words in a whisper, plainly stating that she didn't believe it.

Adelaide couldn't contain the shaking in her limbs as the slender woman addressed her, "You were close to this Newt Scamander, yes? We just have a few questions about his business around magical creatures, how the No-Maj was brought into the story and such..."

"No -" Anna grimaced. "No!" And in an instant she appeared at the boat docks, whisking her tear soaked eyes among the passengers around her. "Excuse me, please."

The signs directed her for the ship heading to England, leading her to the ocean side where the designated boat was drifting from its port, "Newt!"

A face immediately presented itself over the bars of the vessel, tousled auburn hair in the wind. Newt stood there and watched as Anna fought to apparate onto the ship, undeniably failing to do so.

"Why can't I get to you? Please, Newt. I need to get to you!"

Newt gazed down at her emotionless, perhaps a slight crease of pity in his brow as other figures began to stand beside him. The already struggling breath in Anna's lungs evaporated at the sight of his fellow passengers.

"That's not possible..."

Her parents were standing on either side of him, mimicking him in their distant stare to her trembling figure. Another bout of shadows grazed the deck and more people joined them: little Sarah and her mother.

"No, wait! Wait, you can't leave me. You can't go now that you're here," she tried helplessly to apparate onto the ship, the bustling crowd seemingly noiseless as she struggled and reached at the figures above her drifting away.