That was History (Part 1)

Today

Memphis, TN

I sat the table across from Donovan and next to Quill. We do this everyday now. Donovan gets mad because I'm eating and they get in fight and we go back into the room. 

“Now you got this hoe eatin all our food, Quill. You don't pay for nothing in this house and got the nerves to give this bitch my food." He knocked my plate off the table. “Aye, what the fuck you got against her?" Quill yells. “This bitch is property. Property don't need food." “C'mon, Ivanna," Quill said pulling me back to the room. “Now this bitch got a name," Donovan said angrily.  He pulled me by my hair down the steps and I screamed, “Quill!"

He tried to pull me back but Donovan was too strong I guess. “Quill get him!" I cried. Donovan just kept pulling me further away from him. He shut me in a closet. “Boy, you got a fucking problem tryna be captain save a hoe," he told Quill. “No, nigga you got a fucking problem. Get her outta there," Quill yelled back. He twisted the door knob but the door didn't open. I heard somebody fall... or get hit. I bet it was Quill. But then I heard him hit back. I opened the closet door and ran to the bedroom.

We have 45 tally marks over the bed. I count it every day. I stayed under the covers wondering when Quill was gonna come back up. “Quill?" I yelled down the stairs. He didn't answer. “Quill?"

“Go back in the room, baby," he said slowly coming back up the steps. I saw blood. I didn't know if it was his or Donovan's but I was scared. “You need help, baby," I told him. He nodded. “Get a towel out the closet," he said laying on the bed. “Why you can't move away from him?" I asked as I wiped the blood off his head. “I will," he said. “You know what we need, Quill?" I said, “A T.V."  He smiled. “I ain't had one since my mama died," he said. “Well it'll keep us entertained. All this fuckin' got me weak. Sometimes I be feelin like Imma fall if I stand too long. The way you be fuckin me..."

“I'm supposed to fuck you like that," he said. I laughed, “I know." I kissed him. “You don't need to stay here," he said. “Neither of us do," he said.