Before you read...

Please note: Free to Love is a sequel to this book:

You may want to read The Free Pass before reading this OR read the summary that follows, but neither is necessary

Summary of The Free Pass:

(obviously this is nothing but spoilers)

Mega-music-star Shawn Mendes receives shocking news. One of his one-night-stands is pregnant, and her father threatens to ruin him if he doesn't marry her. Thankfully, beautiful college senior Mallory Everett is nothing like her dad and does not agree with the archaic notion of a shotgun wedding, but that doesn't change the circumstances. Shawn and Mallory get to know each other when he visits for her OB GYN appointments and grow close, eventually deciding to marry for both the baby's sake and to prevent bad PR for the popstar. The fact that they get along so well (especially sexually) also plays a part in this decision. The marriage won't be permanent, but they agree to co-parent in his hometown of Toronto the baby after it is dissolved.

Mallory knows Shawn is giving up a lot for their baby, and even though she's fallen hard for him, he's made it clear that he's not in love with her. In a moment of guilt, she offers him a free pass to hook up with someone before they tie the knot. He cashes in the pass with a bartender and befriends her. In fact, he's seeking advice from her on the night Mal goes into labor, almost missing his daughter Grace's delivery. This leads to serious problems between the couple.

Mallory ends all sexual or romantic relations with Shawn and reiterates that the plan all along was for the marriage to be temporary. Shawn is heartbroken by this, because he's the happiest he's ever been. Sharing his life with his wife and daughter fulfills him in ways he didn't know were possible. Mallory brings light and humor to his world and pushes him to be a better person. He tries to get things back the way they were, but she is unwilling to be anything more than parenting-partners and friends because it hurts too much given that she's in love with him. They try to find some middle ground while presenting the image of being a happy couple to the outside world. Their shared love for their daughter and deep connection with each other makes the predicament bearable, but their relationship is fraught with both sexual and emotional tension.

While Shawn is performing in Europe, Mal is struck ill. As he rushes back to Toronto to be by his wife's side, he realizes that he's been in love with her for months and that he's been an idiot for not recognizing this sooner. As she lays in a coma, he breaks down and tells her his true feelings. She hears him, but thinks it's all a dream. Mallory recovers and Shawn shares his revelation with her, but she's skeptical and afraid of getting hurt. Finally she believes him, and they give their marriage a second chance. This time around they are madly in love with each other and committed to their little family.

The happy couple move into a bigger condo and host a Halloween party. The following morning, Mal's friends share info from their college days that makes her doubt Grace's paternity. A DNA test proves that Shawn is the baby's father, but not before their marriage is tested once again. The good news prompts the couple to make plans to expand their family once Grace turns one year old.