17

I opened the door a tiny bit and peeped inside. It was dark. I opened it wider and gently closed it behind me. I began tiptoeing to the staircase.

"Where do you think you're going, young woman?"

I screamed and the lights were turned on. I saw my mum leaning against a wall, crossing her arms. Her right leg was bent in such a way that her foot was resting against the wall.

"Heyyyyyy momma."

She gave me a look and raised an eyebrow.

"Where have you been? For goodness sake, Samantha! It's 11:30 pm. I know you said you were going to be late, but I was expecting 8 pm late. Not 11 pm late!"

I sighed. "I'm really sorry, mum. I was studying."

No way I was going to tell her I fainted. I came back this late because Ryder and I had to stop by at his house to pick up my school bag. And plus, I actually studied.

"Studying? With whom and where?"

"With a friend at his house."

"It's even a he! Do I know him?"

"No."

She sighed and walked over to me to give me a hug. Sometimes, I don't understand my mum. One second, she's mad and the next, she's happy or something like that.

I hugged her back. A few seconds later, we let go.

"What's his name?"

"Ryder."

"Is he cute?" She started wiggling her eyebrows.

"MUM!" I flushed.

She started laughing. "Now, off to bed. It's almost midnight and you have school tomorrow."

"Good night, mum."

"Night."

***

I stared at my test script and smiled. I was so happy because it was an objective question test and everything I studied with Ryder came out. I glanced at him and he caught my eye and winked. I smiled back.

In 30 minutes, the test was over and we were dismissed so we could. have lunch. Mrs. Humphrey said the test would be returned to us by the end of the day.

These days, Rhylee and I had been sitting with Ryder during lunch. Rhylee wasn't at the cafeteria yet so the both of us started talking about the test.

"So, how was it?" He asked, taking a huge bite out of his burger.

"It was easy peasy lemon squeezy!" I said in a sing-song voice.

Ryder shook his head, feigning disappointment, but I caught the small smile playing on his lips.

At that moment, Rhylee appeared with a boy beside her. His hand was snaked round her waist.

"Hey, guys! Meet David, my boyfriend!"

"Your what?" I screamed. I couldn't believe her. Ryder looked shocked, himself.

"My boyfriend! Say hi, Dave."

He put his hands in his pocket. "Sup."

Ryder smirked and nodded. David did the same. He sat down beside Ryder and the both of them started talking. Rhyls took the seat next to me.