Chapter 15

July 2, 2011 | 8:13 am

A bright smile was given to Hikaru as he walked into one of the rooms of Seattle Children's Hospital. An equally bright voice called out to him saying, "Hi, Doc!" Hikaru couldn't resist a huge smile back. "Micah! How's it going?" He asked, giving Micah a look over where he was sitting up in a bed. 

Micah sighed and gave him a thumbs up. "Doing ok, I guess." He situated his cap on his head looking over at his mom. 

Ruby smiled back at him and then told Hikaru, "He's ready for his next chemo session. They took his blood already, so we're just waiting here."

"Ah, excellent. Then we better not keep him waiting any longer, huh? Kids have important things to do." Hikaru said as he gave another grin to Micah while checking his heartbeat with his stethoscope. Micah laughed and nodded. "I'll have somebody come up and get him soon." Ruby nodded and after giving Micah a high five, Hikaru headed out to write on his chart.

Between two hospitals, there were plenty of patients for Hikaru to look after, but Micah was easily one of his favorites. Despite having Leukemia, he was an upbeat child who always tried to see the good in everything. He always tried to have as much fun in his life as possible. Hikaru didn't understand fully what drew him to the youngster, but he didn't dwell on it much. 

Some friendships were meant to be.

<<<<<<   >>>>>>

11:20 am

"Please sign your name and time of arrival and the nurse will be with you shortly. Thank you." Aija instructed to a young woman. As the woman did so and left to wait, Aija turned her chair around to start some copies and almost collided with Andrew.

"Woah, steady there, Aija. Don't want you to be my next patient if you're falling all over the place." He said with a smile.

"I'll remember that for the future, Dr. Carter. What can I do for you?" Aija asked.

Andrew looked down at her, a happy-go-lucky expression on his features. "My patient still hasn't made it yet?"

Aija looked down at the time and shook her head saying, "No and there wasn't a cancellation either that I know of." Andrew sighed and ran a hand over his face.

"You would think people would have more courtesy. Oh, well. Send in my next appointment then if that person is ready. Also, put Mara and me down for your next dinner party. We'll be there!"

Aija said, "Awesome. I'll do that." and as Andrew left to his office, called the next patient, who came up with a surprised look and a low, "That was fast." She shook her head, amused and chuckled before looking up to the door where a familiar person walked in.

"Asami! How are you?" Aija greeted with a bright smile as Hikaru's sister reached the glass. Asami's eyes widened in surprise as if she was surprised to even see her. 

"Hey, Aija. I didn't know you worked here. You do, don't you?"

Aija looked confused. "Yes. I've been working here since spring." At Asami's perplexity, she asked, "Is something wrong?" Asami gave a slight wave of dismissal, shaking her head so that her auburn hair dusted her bare shoulders.

"I had no idea. Hikaru just never told me."

Aija didn't see why it was such an ordeal to Asami and hoped it wasn't something that was going to be a problem for her and Hikaru. "It's okay. I'm pretty sure it just never came up yet."

Asami didn't say anything else but then she asked, "Is he here? Or my dad even?"

Aija got up from her desk and went around to the side door to let Asami in. "Mizuno-sama is here, but Dr. Mizuno hasn't come back from the children's hospital just yet. Looking at the time, he should be here soon enough." She explained to the young woman.