Chapter 24

Summer 1991

It was nearly time for dinner and Aija sat on the couch watching television, oblivious to certain things around her. What she wasn't oblivious to however was the way her mother scrambled around the room, frazzled. She kept looking in drawers and jars for something so much so that Aija was tempted to get down to help her mother. Her mother specifically told her to stay put so she remained where she was.

There was a hard knock on the door and Aija's mother gasped, frozen where she was looking in the kitchen. Aija looked at her mother and her mother stared at her saying, "Don't you move from that spot, Aija Na'Mari. Whatever you do." 

Aija nodded, "Yes, ma'am." 

 Aija's mother wrung her hands before opening the door a crack. The little girl jumped in surprise as the door then flung open with a bang and two huge men wearing black suits walked inside. "Bitch, what the hell you doin' taking forever to open this door?" One of them asked. Aija's eyes widened, hearing the vulgarity of the man and her mother held up her hands for protection, saying, "Rodney...hey, what's up? I wasn't expecting you."

The thug named Rodney sucked his teeth advancing toward Aija's mother while a quick nod to his left made his partner walk straight through the apartment. Aija frowned; even in her five years, she knew this was wrong. Rodney and her mother waited as sounds of objects being overturned came from the one bedroom Aija and her mother shared. She looked over at her mother, taking in the wild curls of the badly done weave and her smeared makeup from crying earlier.

"What's going on?" Aija's mother asked, trying to look innocent as possible but right away the leader of the two men could see through her antics.

"I know you were expecting Quincy's pussy ass but the boss knew better and sent me and Sean." Fear appeared in the eyes of Aija's mother and she backed up a step.

Rodney looked up as Sean came back in the living room, his eyes inquiring.

"Nothing. Not even a cent of money or a bag, man." Sean said, looking over at the woman with angry eyes. Rodney sucked his teeth again piercing Aija's mother with a threatening stare. "Where is that money you owe us, hoe?" She held up her hands again, trying to placate the man. "Rodney...please..."

Rodney took a moment and as Sean joined his side again, said to Aija's mother, "You want to know the real reason why the boss sent me?" Grabbing her wrist then, he brought her closer then said, "Cause he knows I'm the one who would beat your ass."

Aija's mother gasped then screamed out as she was backhanded hard. Aija herself gasped out as her mother flew back into the wall before slumping to the floor in pain. She wasn't even able to get back up before hard kicks were landed to her sides from both men. Aija who had been frozen with fear at first with tears in her eyes heard her mother's screams of "No, please!" and leaped into action running to her mother's aid. She grabbed on to the closest leg she could, pulling at the pants and screaming out. "No! Leave my mama alone!"

She didn't know what difference she would make, but she had to try for the sake of her mother.

Sean fell back a bit; thrown off balance by the tiny girl. Growling out he turned around and smacked Aija off of him with little effort. Aija cried out at the stinging pain, holding her cheek as she sobbed. "You better stay your ass over there, girl! I don't mind giving you more!" Sean yelled out pointing at her. Aija remained frozen, still clutching her cheek.

"No, please! Don't hurt my baby!" She heard.

Her eyes went back over to her mother watching as Rodney pulled her up only to slap her back down again. "Don't you be telling us what to do, bitch! You worry about this beatin'." Crying....that's all she could register. Crying and pain.

The beating went on and on and Aija didn't know how much time had passed.

"Mama..." she whimpered.

She trembled, nearly feeling the urge to urinate on herself in terror of these two men who had just barged themselves into her house and her life. Her fists clenched and she just wanted to run away, but an even bigger fear of being beaten herself kept her feet planted to the carpet. Rodney stopped beating her mother finally and took a few moments to catch his breath. He looked down at the bloody woman, groaning on the floor and shook his hand that he had been punching her with.

"Damn...fucked up my hand." He said, moving to where he could see her mother's face.

"Now...the boss thinks that you sold those bags and kept the money to yourself." He gave a chilling smile. "But you know what I'm thinking? I think that you sold only a bit of those bags, kept the money, spent the money and then used the rest of the shit for yourself. Am I right?"

When there was no answer, Rodney had his truth and he said, "Sean, come take care of this bitch right." 

As Sean covered her mother's mouth, Rodney finally noticed the little girl behind him. Taking in her long hair and her delicate features he raised an eyebrow; an idea clicking in his devious mind. "You want to take our shit?" He asked looking down at the helpless woman. Aija looked up at the huge man who was reaching out to her. "Then we'll take yours too..." He said, all too close to grabbing Aija's arm.

Sean hissed out in pain as her mother bit him then she turned her head saying, "Noooo! My baby! Aija, run!" Aija was frozen; too much fear had permeated her body. He was almost there...this was it. She was next.

"POLICE! FREEZE!" Once again the door as barged open as three police officers rushed inside with guns raised. Aija took this as her moment to escape and she ran into the bedroom, hurrying into the closet and shutting the door.

All was dark...but at that moment, Aija welcomed it.

______________

Thank you all so much who have read this far. This was a hard chapter for me to write but it was crucial to Aija's development. Thank you thank you again.

-Bit