Chapter 35

December 24, 2011

The bustle of Seattle faded into the distance as Hikaru's car drove at a decent speed to his parents' house. Hikaru disliked the whole business and hectic way life progressed during Christmas time. People rushed to get last-minute presents, fighting over the last toy for their sons or daughters. It really brought out the worst in people he thought. That's why he was glad he got gifts ahead of time. Now he had time to spend with his family for a while before heading back home to spend Christmas night and morning with Aija.

He had invited Aija to come with him but knowing that his father would indeed be there, Aija declined in a swift abrupt manner. She still hadn't forgiven Ryutaro for turning her life around and Hikaru didn't blame her nor did he expect her to do so. But as he drove up the half-circle driveway of his parent's house, he couldn't help but sigh sadly. This felt incomplete without his woman by his side.

Generally speaking, Japanese people didn't really celebrate Christmas for religious reasons as others did but it was still fun to open presents. Hikaru shook his head looking at the ornate black and silver Christmas tree his mother had in the living room as he walked in. Presents were nestled underneath it; no doubt cute articles of clothing his mother wanted them both to wear. Chinatsu knew both Hikaru and Asami had enough money to buy their own things but she couldn't resist her motherly instinct. Hikaru and Asami both had no problem with it if it made her happy.

Dinner was early in the evening and wasn't as tense as Hikaru thought it would be. Ryutaro surprisingly stayed silent majority of the time leaving Chinatsu and Asami doing most of the conversation. Hikaru joined in from time to time, not wanting to miss anything that was happening in their lives. Then they opened presents, laughing and joking around. Things went smoothly and Hikaru made his way home. If all went well, this Christmas might be memorable yet.

<<<<<<   >>>>>>

6:58 pm

A violin rendition of Silent Night played from an iHome and Aija hummed along with it, opening her oven door to take out her gingerbread man cookies. She put them on the stovetop to cool before walking out of the kitchen, bending down to pet Prada's head in the process. The clock read 7:00. Aija sighed looking down at Yume who gave a soft whine. His eyes signaled how he missed Hikaru and Aija felt the same. The past few hours felt like days and it was hard trying to busy herself.

Aija had wanted to cook dinner but Hikaru was adamant about not doing so and saying he would provide Christmas Eve dinner. So she decided to make sweets to pass the time. Since he had to work earlier at the hospital for a few hours, Aija knew that Hikaru would be ready to relax this holiday. She had wine ready and some Christmas movies to watch while eating dinner. The Christmas tree illuminated the back left corner of her home giving off that cozy feeling that only this holiday could bring.

Hearing a car parking in the garage below her had Aija's heartbeat racing and she smiled, smoothing down her hair and her dark red crop top before waiting for her boyfriend to walk in. He did so a minute later not even taking a beat before scooping up Aija into his arms and kissing her lips, despite the bag in his hands.

"Mmm...what is that amazing smell?" He asked her in a smooth tone, nuzzling her neck. Aija smiled while in his embrace.

"Gingerbread."

"No. It's definitely you."

"Stop it, you flatterer." Aija laughed as she got out of his grip, telling him to change and get comfy. Hikaru looked down at Aija's cozy-looking red and black plaid pajama pants and grinned. "I hope my outfit is as comfortable-looking as yours is." He smacked Aija's ass and she jumped walking into the kitchen.