Kaylor: "will you hold my hand?"

"Will you hold my hand?"

Taylor doesn't dare answer, but she looks at Karlie and nods, mouthing soon and when doing so she can tell that the taller girl is fighting to hold back a grin twice as broad as Taylor's own.

Taylor and Karlie are out. Not of the closet; but they're out and about, together! After almost three years of no public outings they're strolling down the street together and dammit, that is very nearly enough.

The restaurant isn't small, cozy or discreet, instead it's large, bustling and fancy, the sort of place where celebrities definitely go to eat, where they definitely go on dates. All at once, as if on cue Taylor's heart sinks all the way down to her stomach where it settles like a painful lump and she instantly regrets everything that has led her, led them to this moment, but only for a second.

"Miss Swift!" A man with graying hair and a tight waiter's suit exclaims very suddenly, with the familiarity and demeanor of an old and dear family friend. It's as if he knows her, as if she comes here for dinner every Wednesday night and has for years, it is as if this is normal, as if everything is perfectly in order just like this.

Taylor swallows once, twice, stiffly and then, "it's Taylor." She manages to say and the man's entire face is engulfed by his welcoming smile.

"Taylor," he says and throws his arms out to the sides as if he means to embrace her, "of course! This way." He waves them along to a private table in the corner and Taylor finds herself smiling in gratitude. "Thank you...?" She trails off, pauses briefly. "Oh, Eddie!" The man informs her as he pulls her chair out and when she's sat down she turns her head and smiles at him, "thank you, Eddie!"

Joe who's already seated breaks the silence, "shall we start the evening off with some wine, ladies?" At once Eddie is at their side again and Taylor can't help but grin. "Your finest wine, please!" She hears herself say and Joe chuckles.

"Celebrating tonight, are we, luv?"

"Oh you know it! Thanks for remembering to wear blue by the way, it's sort of a tradition at this point." Taylor says.

"No offense," Joe says with a laugh, "but I can't wait to never see you again!"

Taylor throws her head back laughing, "yeah, me too!" She agrees and then without thinking, she grabs Karlie's hand under the table and when met by the sunshiniest of smiles in response she proceeds to hold it for the rest of the night, because she can. Soon she'll do it in plain sight, because after tonight she can.