1

Naomi's P.O.V

May 31, 1962

We were new to the neighborhood, it wasn't new to me though. We were always moving around and trying to find a place where we could actually call it home. So far, in my 15 years of life, we have never found a place to call home.

In my small family, it consists of me, Naomi North, my younger brother, Cameron North, and the smallest of us, my sister Lucy North. Of course at one point in all of our lives we had both parents, but later on when Lucy was just 3, our father died of cancer, and it changed everything. My mother couldn't handle the death and became the bitch that she is today, even though I don't need her what so ever, I don't have the heart to leave her behind. I know that she couldn't survive without me, so I do what's best for everyone, I lie to the kids about the family, and to myself, saying there isn't a better option.

There's something different about us as well, me being 15, I'm the one who take cares of everything; bills, dinner, laundry, ya' know, the house hold things. Cameron just now turning 11, 'bout to go in the 6th grade, well he's different. He's the smartest out of us, all excel classes, and just knows everything, when I promise myself that he doesn't. Lucy, who is 5, she's the best of us, most loving kid ever. Lucy might have autism, and have trouble showing feelings, and life in general, but she's is such a beautiful kid.

If there is anything that we all share it's the hobby. Trying to focus on life, and not the constant screaming from our mother, and moving, I showed the best thing in our lives. Baseball.

Before Dad passed, that was the only thing he could talk to you about. Baseball this, baseball that, "Hey Naomi, take a break and watch the Dodgers with me!" It was his whole life. Then they had Cameron, and he grew into it himself. When Lucy was young, obviously we couldn't throw a ball with her, but we still got her into the games and somehow managed to put a ball in her hands to begin with.

If our mother was doing something that could possibly ruin the life's of the kids, I would take them to the closet field, or down the street, and throw a ball with Cameron. But Lucy had a different idea, she got into photography, she never took real photos, but with her understanding she didn't know that. So she would run around where ever and take "pictures" and then show me them later. I didn't mind, I thought it was adorable how she would describe the "photo" she took.

I slam the door of the pick-up and open the back door to get Lucy, and wake up Cameron. But while I was in the process of doing that, my mother was too busy trying to open the front door. Not even 3 minutes in the driveway, and she is already yelling at the nob from not unlocking.

I roll my eyes and look back at Cameron, "Hey, Cam, wake up, we're here."

Soon he finally opened his eyes, and clutching on the baseball glove that dad gave him for his 9th birthday. 

He sat up, rubbing his eyes, and unbuckled Lucy's seat belt, gently picking her up and handing her to me. I grinned and moved out of the way so he could get out. Finally mother opened the door slamming it open, and stepping inside.

"We went from Indiana to Utah, how the hell is that possible?" Cameron asked looking at the bright yellow house in front of us.

"I have no idea." I mumbled and started making my way to the front door. Cameron slowly coming up behind me.

I looked around the house as we entered. Nothing to big, or small. A normal house. There wasn't an upstairs, it was one level. 3 bedrooms, if you want to be exact. Since there was only 3, me and Lucy would be sharing a room, but since Lucy has got an attachment on me, that's how it's been for 2 years, well since dad has passed.

When you walk through the door, it's a grand hallway, on the right is a bathroom, and right across from that was a hall closet. As you walk farther down, you have an open kitchen to your right that connects right to the living room. Then connected to the living room is a hallway from all the bedrooms.

I set Lucy down on the couch and walk out to unload the moving truck that just arrived. We didn't have much, this house was luckily already furnished. As I stepped out, Cam was pushing up the door to the U-Haul and pulling out boxes.

As we started getting to more boxes, we decided to pick the rooms that we wanted. Since mom was already passed out in the medium sized bedroom, I took the master and Cam took the smallest bedroom.

When mom gets too again, and realizes that I took the master, she'll be pissed. But I'll just wait till we get to that.

I set boxes down and moved around the bed, and put Lucy's in here as well, even though I know she'll never use it, she'll be sleeping in the same bed as me.

I walked out to make sure we had all the boxes, and right as I was trying to reach for the tag to pull the gate down, someone beat me to it. I turn around to see a guy standing there with a smirk on his face.

"You must be new to the neighborhood. I'm Benny." He held out his hand.

"Well," I paused pointing at the truck, "I'm just a really big fan of trucks."

He chuckled, "I'm Naomi." I chuckled back, reaching for his hand and shaking it.

He didn't look any older then me, if anything maybe a year younger. He wore almost the same thing I wore. P.F. Flyers, jeans, and a random t-shirt. I slowly met his eyes, and then got a glance that he was wearing a dodgers cap.

My smirk slowly turned into a small smile, "I like your hat, the Dodgers is my favorite team, first to the Yankees."

He smiled dropping his hand, "You like baseball?"

I looked down putting my hands in my back pockets, "I know, crazy right? A girl liking a sport, would have never guessed."

He's smile dropped, "No, no, no. I didn't mean it li-"

"Dude, calm down, I was just messing with ya', but yes, I actually play. Well not as much."

He grinned, "Thats pretty cool, wh-" he got interrupted by Cam running out of the house.

"Hey sorry to interrupt," he paused looking at Benny, "nice hat," he looked back at me, "you need to come inside." 

I looked back at Benny, "It was nice meeting you Benny, I hope to see you around."

Before Benny could even respond, Cam was pulling me inside, just as the door closed I hear Benny say, "It was nice meeting you too!"