4

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 3, 1962

I woke up to Benny's sleeping next to me and Lucy shaking me awake.

"Ni, I rant teo aat." I nodded sitting up.

"What do you want to eat?" I rubbed my eyes, and looking back at Benny, his mouth was partly opened and his hair fell right over his eyes.

"Rho is hat juy?" She tried to speak.

Something Lucy has really hard doing, is talking, she can't talk right, and after mother screaming at her to talk right, she goes mute so she doesn't get screamed at. That's another reason why Lucy sleeps with me, she can't handle being alone and she's so scared of our mother.

Speaking of mother, I wonder if shes made it back yet.

I looked back at Benny, seeing that is isn't waking up from Lucy, I shook him violently. He woke up, sitting up immediately.

"Lucy, this is Benny, he lives somewhere around here." I laughed looking at Benny, now seeing him calmed down.

"Hi Lucy, I live across the street actually, I'm friends with Naomi and Cameron." He smiled looking at her, then looked over at me, "I need to get home before my mom sees me gone. So sorry for crashing here."

I chuckled, "Yes please come again at 2 in the morning. I love it."

He smiled as he jumped out of the window.

I looked at Lucy standing in front of me, "Can re have rancaces?" She tried again.

I smiled picking her up and then standing, "I think we can swing that, let's go wake up Cam."

We walk out of our room, passing by mothers, seeing that she still wasn't there. We made our way to Cams room, to my surprise again, Cam was up and ready.

"What are you doing up so early?"

He didn't look away from the mirror he was standing in front of, "I could be asking you the same thing. And who you were talking to last night."

My face dropped, "And why would that be any of your business?"

He shrugged, "It's not, but I'm not the only one that can worry around here. Who was it?"

I put Lucy down, "Benny came by last night, all we did was talk."

He nodded, walking toward me, "Okay, and why did I just see him leave?"

"Are toy the FBI? What's gotten into you?" I crossed my arms.

"I just don't want a repeat. We just moved here and it's weird for him to be knock in at your window in the middle of the night. Especially if Lucy is in there. You know how anxious she is."

I dropped my arms, "You better keep that mouth shut, I don't want to hear another word about this." I paused turning around and walking toward the kitchen, "I'm making some damn breakfast, eat if you want."

"I'm heading to the sandlot." I hear Cam say as he walked into my room.

I nodded, tying my last lace, "Okay have fun."

"Why don't you come with me?" He asked, holding his bat and glove.

I shrugged, "It's not my place to be, they made it very obvious who they want on their field and a girl is not one of them."

"Well if you change your mind, you know where to find us." He started walking out of the doorway, that's when we heard the front door open.

I looked confused at Cam, as he stopped in his tracks and did the same thing. I hear foot steps, almost as loud as stomping coming down the hallway, that's when Cam looked at me, and I knew who it was.

"Naomi!" I hear her shout.

I closed my eyes, breathed in, then opened my eyes, pulling Cam inside. I walked out of the room, closing the door behind me.

"Yes mother?"

I see her stop in front of me, pointing her finger, "Want to explain why there is no money left?"

I rolled my eyes, looking to the left of me, where my bedroom door was at. "If you'd stop drinking so much-"

My head flew back as a felt a sting on my right cheek. My hand immediately went to hold it. My mouth flew open as I looked back at her.

"You better watch that damn mouth young lady, I didn't raise a smartass." She mumbled more stuff under her breath as she walked back to her room, "Clean this damn house, it's a mess!" Then slams the bedroom door shut.

I open my door, seeing Cam holding Lucy, staring hopelessly at me.

"Let's go to the sandlot." I mumbled, grabbing Lucy's camera then following Cam out.

"I'm glad to see you showed up." Benny said as he looked up to me.

The other boys see me, but didn't give it much thought.

"I'd love to hit a few, if you wouldn't mind."

He smiled, "Mind? I want to see why the North name is so legendary." He paused and look back at the rest of the boys who all had gloves on, "Everyone in their positions, Naomi is up to bat first. DeNunez, want to pitch?"

He nodded, "Let's see what you got."

I grabbed Cam's bat and walked over to home plate.

Oh I'm going to show you what I got, what a girl got, what a ' North' gots.