6

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 3, 1962

I drop my bat as I see a few guys riding in from the corner of the field. I hear a few of them mumble things under their while others were throwing their gloves off to the side.

Benny stood up taking off his protective wear and following the others actions. Soon I did the same thing, making sure Lucy was still in the dugout.

I stood next to Yeah-yeah crossing my arms, not knowing what to really do, but me being me, if they want to pick a fight, I will fight.

One that I guess was the "leader" of the bicycle gang, stood tall.

"What do you want Phillips?" Benny yelled out.

"Oh hey Rodriguez, I see you're playing with a girl now. Sad that such a star player like you is playing with, well, a girl." He spoke looking directly at me.

I uncrossed my arms, but didn't say anything.

"Shut your mouth Phillips." Benny chokes out putting the bat in the air pointing it at him.

"I came here for a round 2, since last summer you won, I think it's only fair for another go. But if you guys are playing with a girl, you most have some low expectations. You guys must not be as good. Playing with a girl." He smirked.

I fast paced walked over to Benny grabbing the bat from his hands and walked over to this Phillips kid about to take a swing to his head when I stopped right at his temple.

"Wanna play games geek? Fine, game of ball, our field. Show up to play, or I'll show up to beat the living shit out of you." I looked at the rest of the guys he was with.

"Noon, this Saturday, don't be late." I dropped the bat from his temple, and watched as his was in shock and fear but played it off cool. 

He turned around one last time before riding off the field.

"Round 2, what is this boxing?" I asked as I turned around. They were in a shook of what I just did. Which is understandable.

Benny slowly walked up to me, taking the bat from me, "I'm just going to take this, thank you."

"What are ya'll standing around for, we got a game Saturday." I waved my hands as everyone ran to the starting position.

I walked a little taller as we all started making our way home. I walked with Cam, Lucy, Benny, and Smalls.  I was in my own little world till I hear Smalls yelling goodbye to us and then turning and running to his bright pink house.

It reminded of me pesto bisma.

Soon it came to me and Benny's houses, as Lucy and Cam walked over to our house, me and Benny stayed back.

"Thanks for getting me out and playing again, today was really fun. I haven't played like that in years." I smiled looking up at him.

"Well thank you for telling off Phillips, that little prick has been doing the same shit for years to us. Feels good to have a rebel on our side for once." He smiled back down at me.

I chuckled pushing his shoulder, "I'm no where near a rebel, but I'll take it. I'll see you tomorrow Benny."

He chuckled walking backwards, "And I'll see you tomorrow Naomi."

I smiled widely as I walked up to my house, with right as I walked in turning to a frown.

"NAOMI! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? I HAVEN'T HAD BREAKFAST, LUNCH, OR DINNER. THE MAIL CAME IN TODAY, RENT IS DUE BY THE END OF THIS MONTH, HAVE YOU FOUND A JOB YET?" She started screaming at me.

It's nothing new, I mean having to do everything around here gets stupid ridiculous but if I don't do it, no one will. I take my ball cap off my head and looked up at her.

"Nice to see you to mother. But I was playing ball with the new kids I've met. I'll get started on dinner right now." I started trying to walk past her but she pushed me back, making me stumble into the wall and falling down.

"YOU CANT JUST COME IN HERE LIKE YOU OWN THE PLACE AND THINK EVERYTHING IS FINE! YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION YOUNG LADY! DID YOU GET A JOB?" She screamed putting his hands on her hips.

"No I didn't, but I'll go out tomorrow and find something." I said struggling to get up.

"Urg, dinner better be ready in 10 minutes and if it's not, you're going to pay." She mumbled walking back to her bedroom.

I rolled my eyes walking into the kitchen and started to pull out things to make the dinner.

I saw Cam walking from the hallway and seeing him look at me with sad eyes, "I would have stopped her ya' know. But you told me when I hear her yelling just stay in my room."

"And that's what's best for all of us Cam. I don't need you seeing what she does." I mumbled turning on the stove top.

"Tell me the story of how we're going to be living when we grow up." Cam asked sitting at the counter.

I grinned as I was putting water in a pot to let it boil, "When I turn 18, and you and Lucy are older, I'm going to take dad's old pickup and drive away in it. With you guys with me too. By that time I'll have enough money to get us somewhere we can finally call home. Somewhere hopefully in California. A nice big house," I stopped when he joined in.

"With a big back yard so we can play catch, and we'll even have a pool off to the side of the house for hot summer days." He smiled at the thought.

I chuckled, "Yes we will, and we'll have a bedroom for each of us, even a place that's decorated with dad's old stuff. Well call it," I paused again when I heard a voice coming from the hallway.

"Te Norts voom." I smiled as Lucy walked in getting help from Cam to sit in a seat next to him.

"That's right baby girl, the North's room."

Cameron looked at me with glossy eyes, "If only he was still here to see us now. He would be so proud of us."

"Yes he would, he would be so happy that we are living his baseball dream." I gave a sad smile as a tear ran down my right cheek.