14

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 15, 1962

I ran so fast after Cam. We ran out in front of traffic, trying to cross the road. People honking and yelling at us. But that wasn't going to stop me. I kept running.

My pants and heart just kept racing as I continued on. We made one last sharp turn and ran into the sandlot.

Since time wasn't working with me this morning, waking up in the tree house, Cam said that he would watch her as they all came down here to play. The rest of the boys were huddled around her, not taking their eyes off of her. I push through them, falling down next to her.

"Okay, what happened?" I asked as I pushed my hair behind my ears, then reaching down to her.

That's when I stopped; her face was pale, the color was even drained from her lips, her eyes were barely open, and her breathing was really fast.

This is what Dad looked like when we got home from Johnny Rockets that night. That was the reason I couldn't forget that night, the last baseball game with him, and the last time I was with him.

And here we are, on a baseball field, and my little sister looking like this.

I took no hesitation, I picked her up, and ran out of the dugout. Everyday having to go to work, I pass by this very small hospital. And that's exactly where I was going.

I could hear the boys right behind me, but I didn't dare to look back, the only thing in my mind was to get Lucy to safety. I can't lose another important person in my life.

I can't lose my babygirl. I can't. I ran so hard, my feet started to burn.

It wasn't much longer till I got into the building immediately asking for someone help. They brought out a bed and I laid her down on it, as they started to give her CPR.

I didn't even notice that when I was running here, her breathing had stopped.

"No no no." I cried as I watch them struggle to get her breathing, and watch as they brought out the shockers.

"No, my baby, no." I mumbled as my voice choked on the lump in my throat. My arms went above my head as I couldn't take my eyes off the scene. I quickly dropped them, as I followed behind them.

Time just stopped. I could hear all these things happening around me. Voices of other doctors and patients. They're walking or running down the hallway around me, but I followed behind them watching the gurney with Lucy on it, roll down the hallway.

"Please," I paused as a nurse walked up to me, I pointed to the room, "please help her, please, she can't die on me."

We both stood in front of the door, there was a small window that we could see what was happening within. I heard coughing and then something splash against the ground, and when I turn around back towards the room, I saw Lucy there.

She was moving around but she looked scared out of her mind, she wiped her mouth and that when I looked at the floor to her puke. Gross.

I banged on the door, "Let me in!"

One doctor held up something between his to fingers and looked over at the other doctors. Then other at the door where I was standing.

He nodded giving a signal to one of the doctors, who came over and opened the door for me, and I hurriedly stepped in.

The doctor holding the thing pulled down his mask with his free hand, "When we were giving her CPR, she woke up from a coughing fit, and choke up this, and then she puked over there as you can see." He paused before looking at the thing again, "It happens to be that she was choking on some sort of plastic."

"Plastic? What do you mean plastic?"

"This is a plastic film, that has some type of white powder on it" He paused crossing on arm under the one that held plastic, "I believe that it is some type of drug. Only due to her reaction and her heart levels are at." he then pointed to the very loud machine behind him.

"I'm going to talk to her out in the hallway, give the patient something to help her with the withdraws." The doctor command, he put the plastic that Lucy threw up in a contaminated bag, "And would one of you take this to forensics."

The nurse took the baggie, gave me one last look, before leaving the room. The doctor but his hand on my back and motioned towards the door.

"Do you know where she could have gotten the drugs?" He asked, crossing his arms.

I shook my head, "I was at work, my brother came and got me from the park, they were playing baseball."

He nodded, "Well this is a small town," he paused, "I'm sorry what was your name?"

"Naomi, sir." I mumbled.

"Well Naomi, this is a small town, they clean the park everyday, including the fields."

I shook my head, "It's not apart of a park, sir, it's a random field that no one uses."

The doctor didn't say anything, he looked like he didn't believe me. And honestly in the state that I was in, and how sweaty and horrible I looked, I probably wouldn't believe me either.

"Where did you get the drugs Miss. Naomi?"

I didn't even know what to say.

He uncrossed his arms and sighed, "Does anyone in your family do drugs? Maybe she saw this and thought it was some type of candy?"

"Our mother does." I heard.

I looked at where the voice was coming from and there stood cam.

Why the fuck would you say that Cam?

I closed my eyes. They aren't going to believe us, we're kids, she's not. We'll take the blame for this. This isn't my first time dealing with cops or doctors. I know how this works.

"Your mother does." He restated.

"Well, why do you think the brother and sister are here instead our mother? She's too out of it to even know what's going on. If you ever meet her, ask her what year it is, you'll love the answer." Cam went on.

"If your mother did this, how could she get into it?" He asked pointing back at Lucy.

"Like you said she probably thought it was candy." I mumbled.

"Okay. You think this would happen again?" He eyed me down.

I knew that look, he doesn't believe it was our mother. He thinks it's me.

"Never again sir." I mumbled and looked away.

"Okay, were just going to get some paper work down and you guys may leave." He walked past me with the other 2 doctors.

"They never believe us." Cam mumbled his breath, "We could be in a dead limp and they would believe we did it to ourselves."

"I know kid, I know."

June 17, 1962

The next few days I didn't bother going into work. I called in saying that it was an emergency and I needed to be out for the next few days. I didn't dare let Lucy stay by herself, instead I stayed with her at the sandlot or Benny's house.

I somehow became really good friends with his Mom and Dad, both very lovely people. I explained somethings to Beth, ya know about my life, but not everything. The only reason I mainly did that was just incase something were to happen, that Lucy could come over here and/or me without a problem.

Yesterday was when I got to meet Smalls family, he invited us over for dinner since my mom was out doing god knows what. They were very nice, but Bill seemed bored, so he left after dinner going to watch whatever game was on and Cameron and Smalls played in Smalls bedroom. That leaving me with Smalls mother, also a very nice woman.

I didn't really explain what is happening, because I'm not on that level with her that I am with Beth. Beth seemed like an actual mother to me that I've never had. And for my own selfish benefit, I truly don't want to lose that.