19

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 25, 1962

I was packing away t-shirts that just got shipped in, when all the boys started to run in.

"Hi Ni!" I heard a little girl.

"Hiya princess. Did Benny get you early?" She smiled as she ran over to me.

"I got a new shipment in today, which means I have a little present for each one of you." I smirked and stood up. Then walked to the counter and pulled up a box of old inventory, "Pick whatever you like."

"Whoa, theses are brand new baseball jersey's." Bertram said as he pulled out a jersey from the box.

"I know." I said jumping up to sit on the counter with a bag of carrots in my hand, "I even got a raise today."

"How much?" Benny asked as he stood next to me.

I offered a carrot, which he excepted, and we both took a bite out of them, "5 bucks."

"Naomi, that's more then our parents make, how did you make that much?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, how did you make that much?" Cam asked, now standing in front of me.

"Caught him sleeping with a co-worker. Joked around about calling his boss and he said he would do anything. Said I wanted a 5 dollar raise. And he gave it to me." I explained but Cam was still a little off about it.

"But that means, we'll be able to get the hell out of here before we know it. Head to California." He smiled before going back to the guys as they looked through the box of jerseys and things.

"You want to move to California?" I heard Benny beside me.

"It's a dream picture I made with Cam and Lucy. Something to look forward as well we got older. I made a promise with them, and I always keep my promises." I said about to jump down, when Benny held out his arm.

"And I get that, but you want to already leave?" He asked.

"I don't know what I want anymore." I mumbled, jumping down and started talking to the rest of the guys.

We decided to go to the sandlot, because really that's the only thing we ever did. Baseball was life to them and me, so always being here didn't really matter.

I stood at first, watching Squints at home, getting ready to bat.

"C'mon Squints I ain't got all day!" Bertram yelled at Squints as he was on strike two.

"Yeah yeah, I need to get home for dinner!" Yeah-yeah yelled along.

DeNunez pitched the last and final ball and Squints finally hit it, running towards me. Benny who was playing third got the ball and chucked it towards me, and just as I was catching it, Squints was already here.

"That was a close one." He said standing and holding up his weight at his knees.

"Sure was Squints. You got lucky." I smirked.

He chuckled and looked up to see Tommy heading in to the batters box. Usually we followed a line up that Benny made, but lately we stopped caring and whoever called it first got up there.

"I'm up next!" Cam yelled from outfield.

Tommy stood in the batters box watching DeNunez as he wound up for the pitch. I've been watching his movement lately to see what pitch of his was what. When he brought up his left leg as far as he could, it was to bring power to his arm for the heater. If he breathed low and swirled the ball between his fingers it was his curve ball. But he last one his been working on is my pitch, "the Ni".

I told him how to do it on our way here from my work, and he's been working on it. I haven't told him what he has been doing wrong, because everyone has been hitting it, "the ni" no one hits.

Tommy got the ball only getting it to shortstop, which got Squints out for a force run. Tommy stood at first, which made me laugh as Squints was cursing at Tommy.

Cam came in from left center and picked up my bat from the dugout, he made his way to home plate, and I saw him give a nod to DeNunez, which meant, he was asking for the heater. DeNunez brought his left leg as far as he could and brought it straight to the strike zone. But Cam was to fast he hit it, causing it to be a blunt, so me, DeNunez,  and Benny ran from it, and me catching it, but throwing it to first where Timmy stood with his glove out.

I chucked it over to him and him catching it, getting Cam out.

"Nice one Timmy." I smiled toward him.

He threw it to DeNunez and smiled as he ran back to his spot in outfield.

"Guys it's getting late, we should call it a day." Ham said taking off his mask and looking at Benny, who also nodded.

"Yeah yeah, I need to get home for dinner before my mom gets pissed. Thanks Ni for the jerseys today, I'll see you guys tomorrow." He yelled as he ran down the foul line and out the gate.

"You're welcome!" I yelled back.

We all walked in a group talking about what happened today and what we were surprised at. Me and Benny walk a little behind all of them. Lucy being with Cam and the guys ahead of us.

"Benny, I have to go home tonight, okay, I really have to." I said not taking my eyes off the ground.

"Fine, but you are coming back over tomorrow." He said.

I nodded and smiled looking back up at him, "Okay deal."

"Would you ever date someone again?" He randomly asked.

"What?" I asked confused about the sudden burst of a question.

"I remember you saying how you couldn't deal with a boyfriend since you have a whole family to take care of and bills to pay. But if you really liked someone would you consider dating them?" He asked now looking down at me.

"If I was really crazy about them then yes. Yes I would." I smiled.

"Okay. Good to know. I'll see you tomorrow Naomi." He said about to walk up to his house.

"Benny, my stuff is still over at your house." I chuckled walking over to him.

"Oh right, well come in." He smiled holding the door for me, and soon Cam and Lucy stood there waiting on me.

Me and Benny walked back to his room and I looked around for all of my stuff. After getting it all put away, I zipped up my bag and Lucy's, standing up meeting eyes with Benny.

I walked over to him, giving him a little grin and kissing his cheek, "Thanks Benny, I really appreciate everything you've done for me." I back away about to walk out, when he stopped me.

What happened next I didn't think Benny would do in a million years. Benny came closer to me, cupping his hands around my face, and he kissed me.

Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez, is kissing me.