11

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 14, 1962

I grabbed onto my bag and walked into the store, which finally does have a name, "Ricky's Sports". I go behind the counter, and put my bag underneath it, and then walked to the back break room to clock in.

I unlocked the front door, and turned over the sign since I was opening it today. I turned on all the lights and then turned to my original seat behind the counter, pulling out a magazine from my bag.

A few minutes later the door suddenly opened, and talking filled the store.

"I know right, she is totally hot."
"Nah man, she ain't my type."
"What are you talking about?"
"If you ain't about to go after her, then I will."

The group of voice walked over to a wall of jerseys, and that when I got a clear image of who they were. I kept my eyes low like I didn't see them or hear them, and just kept reading.

"Hey, do you have these in a large?" I looked up to have my eyes meet Bennys.

"I don't know, I'll have to check the back." I smirked, and his jaw dropped.

"You work here now?" Then the sandlot boys started to pile around him.

"Yeah, I got the job a few days ago." I explained, "Let me see the jersey you're talking about."

He nodded and lead me to the wall, I knew exactly what jersey it was, it was the jersey that I bought him, just haven't gave him it.

"C221." I mumbled, "Thats our most popular jersey, I highly doubt I'll even have anything in that. But let me check."

I walked to the back like I was looking for it, that's when I heard the door open again and someone was walking in.

"Did you hear what we were talking about?" I turned around and saw a pale Benny.

"What do ya mean? I didn't hear anything." I crossed my arms over to stupid uniform I had to wear.

It's a sports store, so I guess you have to play the part for one. I looked like an umpire for a foot ball game. Black and white striped shirt with canvas cargo shorts. I looked like an idiot. And the logo, oh gosh the logo, is a monkey with a baseball in its mouth. It looks like it's choking on some balls.

"I was just making sure." He paused looking me up and down, "I'm really digging the uniform."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled, "Shut up. I'm sorry but I don't have the uniform in that size."

He shrugged as I pushed him out of the closet and closed it behind me. Then we walked out with the rest of the guys.

"Are we going to see you at the sandlot?" Smalls asked me.

"You guys probably won't be seeing me much. I have to work a lot of hours." I combed my hair out of stress.

"Why don't you take a break tonight? We can all go to the treehouse and spend the night? Like old times." Tommy suggested.

"I have work tomorrow guys." I huffed, then I watch as all their faces fall, "You know what? Screw it, I'll be there."

They cheered, I chuckled sitting down, "Are you guys going to go to the sandlot?" Then soon after that, they were gone and me alone to figure out how I was going to be able to pay this weeks food, moms shit, and rent by the end of this month.

I walked into my house, completely drained. I could barely move my arms as it was, but I pushed threw it, getting my stuff packed. I packed Lucy's things too, before getting her and walking down to the Timmons.

"I'm so tired." I mumbled before yawning.

At the last 2 hours of my shift, a random shipment came of baseball bats. When you have to hold multiple of them at one time your arms really start to hate you.

Lucy held my wrist and soon we were walking up to Timmy and Tommy's. I knocked on the door, readjusting my bag that hanged over my shoulder and watched as the door opened and a woman stood there.

"Hi, you must be Naomi," She paused opening the door wider for me and Lucy to get through, "I'm Mrs, Timmons but you can call me Sheryl."

"Hi, nice to meet you." I stuck my handout and she shook it, "this is a wonderful house you have here."

"Oh sweetie, you don't have to lie. But you know it's a place to raise a family and a roof over my head." She smiled, "Anyways, the boys are in the treehouse in the back yard if you want to join them."

I nodded before walking through the glass doors and to the steps of the tree house. Lucy walked in front of me but me still holding her hand.

As we finally climbed up the ladder, there was barely anymore left from all the sleeping bags scattered around the floor.

I saw Cam so I went over to him, "Long time no see." I hear him say.

"Don't even get me started." I mumbled.

"Hey Naomi, nice for you to join us." Squints started getting people's attention to see that I was now here.

"Hey boys." I smiled, then sat down.

"So I see you brought Lucy." I heard Bertram say.

I looked over at him, "I'm sorry, is that a problem?"

"Well considering that this is a camp out, it isn't supposed to have kids." He continued.

"Weeks, leave her alone." Benny argues with him.

"Is there something that you have to say Bertram? Please, you have the whole floor." I spat, crossing my arms not taking my eyes off him.

"Okay, Naomi, why did you bring the kid with you? And why do you always have her?" He asked, in a calm tone.

I looked around the room to see expressions that mainly read, "Now that he's said something, why do you?"

"Is this stuff that you guys wonder too?" I leaned back as I saw them also starting to nod their heads. Well shit.