21

Naomi's P.O.V.

June 26, 1962

I left Lucy with Cam, where ever he was going to be tonight, and made my way to Johnny Rockets. As I walked in, I saw the table we sat at and a very nervous looking Benny biting his nails there. I pointed to the table at the hostess and made my way back to him.

I got to the table and waited for him to look up, "This seat taken?"

He looked up and smiled, "I was beginning to think you weren't going to show."

"Sorry, Cam has to take Lucy and was making everything confusing." I explained and sat down across from him.

"Why do you look so nervous? It's not like I wasn't going to show up. Remember you're my favorite person." I asked smiling at him.

He shook his head, "No reason. I already ordered for us, knowing what you wanted from the last time."

"Chicken fingers with fries an-"

"And a side dip of mustard and ketchup? Then a root beer float, and a water for the wait? Yes I got it." He finished for me.

I smile looking down, "Wow you're good."

The food came out and set down in front of us, "So I have a plan for us tonight, so hurry up and eat so we can get out of here."

I nodded and hurried and ate but not to the point where I would puke it up later.

After we got done, Benny paid and we walked out in the direction of downtown. I didn't even bother asking questions, I just let it happen.

We walked and talked all the way into the course of downtown and finally Benny explained what we were doing.

"For our second date, I went a little extreme with it. But it was something my dad got but couldn't come to it since him and mother had things going on." We stopped in front of the states baseball field.

Back in Indiana we had 'Victory Field' and I thought about last baseball game that were at the stadium. But now we're are here at this one baseball stadium.

"It's the Yankees and Dodgers game tonight. My team versus yours." He explained, lookin at the billboard above us.

I looked up at him, "This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me, Benny."

I hugged him, which he wrapped his arms around me.

"We're here a little early, so we can buy some candy and get to our seats and maybe see the players warm up." Benny explained as we walked there the gate.

"Where are our seats?" I asked just curious.

"Right behind home plate." He smirked.

My jaw dropped, "No way. I get to see my favorite team that close."

"Naomi, you've met them before, I've seen your baseball bat." He chuckled.

"My dad got that for me when he went to a game with his buddies."

(Btw, I'm switching things around, Robinson played 1944-1956 but the year of this book is 1962, so we're going to pretend the 1947 team of dodgers is the 1962 team and the 1947 Yankees team is the 1962 team)

"That's pretty cool though that you have a signed bat." He smiled down at me.

"I can get you a signed ball, I know how to." I smirked while looking up at him.

We walked through the columns of the seats, and finally got by home plate and sat down. The Dodgers came out from their dugout and went to the right field to warm up. The coach from the Yankees came over to home plate and started talking to the ump.