Chapter 111...

‘Kimberley, slow down babe you need to calm down--’ 

‘She’s early, Cheryl, she’s like three weeks early, she hasn’t had any problems at all--’ 

‘Exactly so it doesn’t mean it’s something bad, please babe… don’t work yourself up, please.’ 

‘But something must be wrong t—WOAH!’ 

‘SH!T!’ Cheryl screamed as I suddenly swerved to avoid another car. ‘Right, pull over. Kim pull over NOW!’ 

I stopped the car, my hands shaking on the wheel slightly. Cheryl got out and walked around to my side. ‘Let us drive before you bloody well kill us both. Kimberley! Now.’ 

Cheryl drove the rest of the way, a furious glare on her face the entire time. It was only as we pulled into the hospital car park and backed into a space that I said, ‘Chez I’m sorry, I’m just worried about Sally.’ 

‘I know babe, it’s ok. We’re here now, you’ll see for yourself everything’s gonna be okay.’ 

‘Are you – will you be alright? Y-you don’t have to stay, I’m sorry I didn’t think--’

‘Of course I’m stayin’, if only to keep you calm! Come on.’ 

‘Are you sure?’ 

‘I’m fine, I promise.’ 

‘But if you start t--’ 

‘I promise I’ll tell you, let’s go!’

**

We found my dad pacing outside the room we were directed to, giving me a strained smile as I ran to him. 

‘What do you know, has anyone said anything?’ 

‘Not yet love. All I know is Mothercare are going to have a pretty ironic story to tell. Her waters broke right there at the checkout.’ 

‘D’you think they’ll let me in?’ I said anxiously. ‘I promised her I’d be with her.’ 

‘Don’t worry love, Rick’s in there with her, and Sarah.’ 

‘Sarah’s in there?!’ 

‘They were shopping together. I don’t think Sally was letting go of her hand.’ 

‘Still, I should see if--’ 

We all jumped as the door opened, and Rick came out. He was crying, but he had the biggest grin on his face. 

‘It’s a boy.’ He laughed. ‘It’s a boy!’ 

‘Oh my God, she’s had it already?!’ Cheryl gasped. 

‘I’ve got a little boy.’ Rick laughed, hugging my dad then unexpectedly picking me up in a tight cuddle. ‘He’s amazing… he’s so little…’ 

‘Are they alright?’ I asked. ‘Why was she so early, what happened?’ 

Rick shook his head. ‘Nobody’s said anything about that… they’re just checking him over but… he looks fine, he cried straight away, they don’t seem concerned… maybe he just got bored of waiting!’ 

‘How’s Sally?’ 

‘Knackered! I’m gonna ask if you can all come in yet, I’ll be right back…’

Cheryl’s laugh brought me back to earth and I turned to see her hugging my dad. ‘Congratulations granddad!’ 

‘Oh God. That’s going to take some getting used to!’