ch.22 They still didn't answer my question.

We all sat at the table and talked and ate. Everything went well. My mom and I actually bonded. She did seem so alive.

        Nick couldn't keep his eyes off me for more than a second. I found it amusing how he tried not to let me notice. Everyone was here except Lyle. I checked the time. 8:45. Where could he be?

        Then the door opened and in came Lyle and Emily. "Mom, here's Emily." Lyle said. My mom stood up to shake her hand. "Hi, Mrs.Kyler. It's nice to meet you." Emily smiled. My mom smiled back,"Nice to meet you too. Lyle told me a lot about you." she said.

        "Really?" Emily giggled. "Yes. Would you like something to eat?" My mom offered. Nick finished eating and got up to clean his plate. I got up and ate at the counter so Emily and Lyle both had a place to sit at the table. We really need a bigger table.

        Lyle made him and Emily some plates and served like a gentleman. It was kinda cute to see them two together. My mom asked Emily thousands of questions about herself and seemed to really like her. Lyle looked nervous but happy to see how well the two were getting along.

        Cole looked a little uncomfortable but did a lot to hide it.

        Emily was very entertaining and captivated everyone with her stories and funny jokes. She made everyone smile with her expressive personality.

        Everyone ate and talked ,mom kept hinting to Lyle and his relationship with Emily. He on;y felt embarrassed but didn't want to admit his feelings.

        Wait. I thought they broke up. If that was so, how come they are here with no problem.

        I scrunched my eyebrows at the confusing thoughts. My laughing stopped but no one seemed to notice. I had small pieces of the puzzle and no would tell me the rest.

        I felt someone tap me from behind. I turned my head as Nick looked over his shoulder a little to signal me to follow. I crossed my arms and we exited quietly.

        "What's wrong?" Nick asked as I turned the corner. "Um, it's just Emily. She told me that she couldn't be with Lyle again but she is. I don't understand. She seemed pretty serious when she said it." I rubbed the back of my neck.

        "Well they look like their back together." Nick looked around the corner and back at me. "Yeah but I still feel like they're hiding something." I wasn't going to give up.

        "They seem okay to me. If you want to you could ask." he suggested. "Don't you think I've already tried. Emily never really explained her words and I know how Lyle is. If he wants to hide something he is very stubborn before he lets it go." I looked back at the couple.

        "Well they aren't the only one's that age. They have a bigger crew than that. Someone must know what they won't tell us." Nick hinted. "I don't want to interrogate your brothers." I complained. "Do you want to know or not? Trust me, if I don't know then they do." Nick smirked.

        He might be right. After all they are his brothers and he's much of a peoples person. He might be able to get them to squeal. "Okay." I bit my lip. He smirked deviously and walked into the kitchen. I followed behind him.

        Everyone continued their conversations until the clock hit eight. "Oh. It's late. I have to go." Emily stood up frantically. "Well it was nice to meet you, Emily." My mom hugged her. "And see you again." Jackie added. "Nice to meet and see you Mrs.Kyler and Mrs.McCoy." Emily gave a sweet smile.

        "Come on Emily. I'll walk with you." Lyle said. "You live in the neighborhood?" Jackie asked. Emily nodded happily. "Oh. Well I hope to see you again." my mom said. "Yeah me too." Emily agreed. "Bye Emily." different voices said at once. "Bye." she waved before Lyle lead her out and closed the door.