Double R

Evie -

Evie -

Mirror, mirror, what does our future hold? Show me what happens when our stories unfold.

Rain and Evie -

Welcome to my wicked world, wicked world

----------------------------

"Ruby!" I knock on my sister's dorm room "Hurry up, we're gonna be late!" The door flings open and I'm greeted with a mess. "Okay, what happened here?" Her hair is sprawled everywhere, completely knotted.

"I tried to comb it,"

"I can see," she sighs "we're running out of time,"

"How am I meant to fix this?"

"'Beware, forswear, let us borrow some, combed, plaited hair'," Burgundy and yellow smoke surrounds us, and when it clears, Ruby's hair is in a neat long plait down to her feet.

"Rain! You know you're not allowed to do that!" I shh her

"What people don't know, won't hurt them," I check my phone "we have five minutes before we really have to go," Ruby pulls me into her room, shutting the door behind me. She runs over to her mirror, applies some light lipstick and sits to put on some shoes.

I walk over to the floor length mirror with vines painted up the sides. Ruby joins me. We look like sisters. The opposite kind. She's the same height as me, maybe slightly taller in her heels. My dirty blonde roots have grown out. The fade between them and the burgundy looks almost natural. Evie added some highlights in the roots to help fade it. lighter blonde and red also shines through, the Auradon sun lightening it gradually. Ruby's roots look like what I remember my hair being when I was younger, her's gradually fading at around neck length. Our eyes both sparkle green. Her's have brown swirled within them. I guess if she cut her hair, it would turn into Dad's brown. I feel lucky to keep the blonde through cuts. I don't know where I got the curls from. Maybe she has wavy hair, just it's weighted down so much.

"Well we look like complete opposite's" and she's right, despite all the similarities. Our dress senses are completely different. She's suiting some lilac clothes, I'm in my usual Burgundy.

"Let's go,"

--------------------------

When we reach the Palace, Mum walks forward quickly to hug us. Every three months or so, Ruby comes back to Corona for brunch. "Look at you two," she cups our faces. I scrunch my nose up in embarrassment. We walk into the Palace and I move my sunglasses of my face and into my hair, we move into the brunch room. This is the first time I've been here; I look at everything I can in awe. Portraits of my grandparents. Mum when she was born. Me. There's baby me. Bright blonde wavy hair, a crown paced upon my head. The epitome of a princess. I look down at my outfit choice, I've never been that baby, and I don' think I ever will be. Ruby sits opposite Dad, so I'm automatically next to her, opposite mum. "Ruby, your hair looks different,"

"Does it?" she touches the side. And Mum's right, the magic has given in more of a shine.

"It's... Shinier," Dad elaborates

"Oh yeah, I borrowed Melissa's conditioner," thank god she picked up the lying gene.

"How's school?"

"Good, we're allowed to use the art room now,"

"Ruby," I whisper to her but they've already asked

"Why couldn't you use it?"

"There was an incident," Dad raises his eyebrows in a tell more way. "well two incidents named Rain and Mal," This is it.

"We didn't do anything that bad, just had a paint fight and threw a bucket of neon green all over Audrey," I mumble the last part.

I expect them to shout, but instead I hear laughter. "Audrey does kind of deserve it," I look at my mum in shock. "How's it going apart from that?"

"Eh, no one apart from Ben trusts me, I'm sort of hated," I take a strawberry and casually put it whole in my mouth, the green parts were chopped off, per Ruby's request. I mentioned my hate for them once, and ever since, whenever she's been in the room, there's always strawberries with no green.

"What do you mean sort of?" Mum grabs my hand, where the nail polish from last night is still prominent on my nails, across the table.

"Oh, you know the usual, one minor inconvenient thing happens 'it must be Rain, she was raised by a villain'"

"Have you thought that maybe changing your style, letting your natural hair back, wearing lighter colours, the purple and yellow looks nice on you," she rubs my hands. She wants me to change who I am.

"No," Ruby looks shocked at my demanding tone, Dad just shocked it came from me "I'm not going to change who I am, I'm never going to play up to that perfect princess role, if they can't except me, if you can't except me, then I don't need you," Ruby abruptly stands after my speech

"Let's go," she pulls me up, I catch her eying Mum weirdly before dragging me out, the door slamming behind us "I'll show you the Garden's,"

We walk, arms linked out into the back, Guards eye me slightly, I guess they're used to Ruby and her pastel colours. She leads me through a beautiful garden, flowers blooming in every direction.

"You know, I always wanted a sister," she starts "I hoped to be the older one, I asked Mum one night why I didn't have one, she told me I did, just that she was very far away, I imagined a little girl with Mum's emerald eyes, and blonde hair down to her feet, playing in fields of flowers,"

"Well you got the looks right," she smiles a bit

"Then I grew to resent you, why would you not be with us, why did Mum and Dad care so much for a lost girl, they showed me all the love possibly imagined but I still started imagining a teenager with short dull brown hair, dark purples and yellows covering her clothes," we pass a picnic area with the flower painted on the floor.

"Then, you came to school, I avoided you as much as I could, I was terrified, at family day, all Mum was focused on was you, and that's when I saw you take on the biggest fake in the school, your hair glowing like the sun," I look down in embarrassment,

"You're my sister, the one I always dreamed of, I don't care if you have bright blonde hair, or dark burgundy. I don't care if you wear purple and yellow or reds and burgundy. You are who you are, if they can't see that. They don't deserve your wicked sense of humour," we stop in maze looking thing, she takes my hands and makes me face her

"Or your sass, or your protectiveness, or anything that makes you, you," I can feel the tears well in my eyes

"The isle will always be a part of you, but so will we. Everyone messes up sometimes, the best you can do is try. Don't try to change yourself, just be more open to Auradon and its traditions. I'll help you, every step of the way. So will Ben, so will Evie, Mal, Carlos and Jay." she wipes a tear away and flicks it onto a section of dying flowers.

"Mum and Dad just aren't used to you, Mother Gothel tried to kill dad, and basically torture mum. They just can't imagine their golden-haired princess being raised by that monster. Well they can. They can imagine the pain you were put through. They just want you to be happy, and comfortable at school,"

"Thanks, I guess I always wanted a sister as well, I eventually got Mal and Evie but you know what? I think I might be able to add a pastel princess to our group of misfits." Ruby laughs before pointing back to the palace.

"You wanna go back inside?"

"Na, I just want to get back to Ben and everyone," she nods in understanding. The pastel princess, the fairest of them all, the dragon, and the girl with hair as bright as the sun, we are certainly a group. As we pass the dying flowers, I catch them blooming again.