Chapter 14

Dagues watched as Ewan stirred awake. When he came to bed last night Ewan was already asleep. But he caught how red and swollen his eyes were. "You didna eat last night" he said as he tied his boots. Ewan looked at him and shrugged. "I was not hungry last night" he replied and got out off bed. His red hair wild around his shoulders. "You be having breakfast before you take on your daily task" he ordered him. Watching through hooded eyes Ewan's body language. But there was no tell tale on how he felt about yesterday. "I will be thinking on it as I plan my daily task" Ewan replied. Dagues felt in his gut something was a miss here. Ewan continued to clean and dress himself. But what surprised Dagues was that since Ewan came to the castle he'd either wore leather pants or cotton and a shirt. Today however Ewan dressed in the brown common kilt. The ones his family wears. "You wearing that?" He asked.
"Aye" he answered him and walked out of the room. Dagues followed and watched as he went into Duncan's room. Dagues frowned. He made his way to his study. He had things to do.

He almost spend the entire day locked up in his study going over things with his warriors. The few he did trust a small amount. For now the winter will keep them all warm and home in the castle including the culprits coming their way. Spring is still away off. Tiredly he went to the training grounds. He stopped in his tracks. There was Ewan. His shirt soaking wet from his own sweat as he swung his axe. Battling a young warrior in training. Ewan his Ewan was training with his men. The poor boy could hardly keep up with Ewan as he delivered blow after blow. The boy kept on blocking the assault but the fierce determination on Ewan's face told him that the boy will surrender soon. And he did. Sinking to his knees. Ewan was breathing hard but Dagues saw that he loved every minute of his little battle. He saw the satisfying smile on Ewan's mouth and the twinkle in his eyes. He returned it with a proud smile of his own but Ewan's face turned emotionless and his eyes lost its shine when he spotted him.

He helped the young warrior up and thanked him for his time. Dagues frowned. Something was not sitting right with him. "Ewan" he called after him as Ewan left the training ground. He turned around and faced him. "Aye Dagues. Do you need or require anything" he asked politely. Aye something was off. "Nay Ewan nothing. I will be training for awhile until supper." he said instead. Ewan nodded and walked off. Dagues took all his frustrations out on his training. By nightfall he was tired as hell. He entered the warm kitchen and was greeted by the smell of haggis and dumplings. The smell was divine. He could hardly wait to start the food on the table. He washed his hands quickly and took his seat and dug in. It took him a while to realised that Ewan was not beside him. He turned to call for him when he noticed him sitting with some of the maids eating and chatting . Dagues went back to his food but kept a trained eye on him. Every so often he'd hear Ewan chuckling at something being said.

The meal was quite on the warriors side as usual these days. Savouring Ewan's food. Ewan left to attend to Duncan after he ate. Dagues spend some time around the table with his men before he turned in for the night. Ewan was already in his nightdress when he entered the bedroom. "You feeling alright Ewan?" he asked as he took off his boots. "Aye. Why do you ask?" he countered. Dagues stopped his undressing and looked at Ewan turning down the bed. Ewan turned to him"Do you require sexual service tonight Dagues?" he asked him.

Dagues looked at him shocked. The nonchalant way Ewan asked him that irked him. "Nay I will not require sexual service tonight." he gritted out. Ewan just nodded and climbed into bed. Dagues stripped himself and got in beside him he adjusted himself to gather Ewan in his arms but Ewan turned his back to him and snuggled into the fur keeping himself far away from him. It took him longer than Ewan to fall asleep. His mind kept working on what was wrong but kept coming  up with blank answers. Morning come too soon and greeted him with an empty bed. The soft knock on the door told him that the maid was here with his bath water. Time to start the day.

Again he found himself trapped in his study working. He looked out of the window at his grounds. A little snow have started not to much but smoke twirled from the chimneys into the cold air keeping the inside of the keep warm. Fuck this he was tired of working all day in his study. He got up and locked his study. He found Ewan busy cleaning  the next wing off the castle. Again he wore his brown kilt. Dagues crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the doorframe. He silently watched as Ewan worked along side the servants instead of giving them orders. He was singing an old Galic song. Dagues felt himself getting lost in the beautiful angelic voice of Ewan. He closed his eyes and listened. He never before heard him sing. He never even knew that he could sing. It sounded soft and beautiful coming straight from heaven. Suddenly it stopped. Dagues opened his eyes. "Why did you stop?" he demanded more than ask.

"My singing is something personal and private for me Dagues" he answered with a smile....but Ewan's smile did not reach his eyes. "I am your husband and you were singing for a  room filled with servants" his tone was savage he knew it but Ewan was denying him that angelic voice. The famous Killian temper was rising. "Dagues I have much to do and little time." Ewan dismissed him. Dagues turned away furiously. He ordered one of his men to keep an eye on his wife but not to get to close to him. Dagues went to the training ground to work out his temper. Right before sunset his warrior waited for him. "And?" he grunted. The man bowed his head. "He went on cleaning while singing. He then did some training with the young ones. Hand to hand training indoors before he tended to Duncan before he went to prepare the evening meal my Lord." Dagues nodded and dismissed the man with his hand.

He made his way to the kitchen deep in thought. Once again the food was ready and Ewan was with the servants again. Dagues ate silently his meal. Afterwards he bid his men goodnight and went to look on his son. He looked into the crib where Duncan was sleeping peaceful."Your mother frightens me. Over night he changed. Aye." he spoke to his sleeping son. He kissed him on his chubby cheek and bid him goodnight. He made his way to their bedroom knowing it be a while before Ewan comes to bed. He stripped and got in waiting.

He almost fell asleep waiting for him when he heard the door openend. He watched as Ewan undressed himself. He turned naked to him. "Will you be needing anything tonight" Ewan asked him. He looked really looked at Ewan. There were no emotion in his eyes. He offered himself as a duty. Dagues felt the cold unseen hand of fear gripping his heart. "Nay Ewan" he answered and closed his eyes.

                    sorry for the grammar errors. Thank you.