10

~Luke's POV~

On Monday, I sat down at the lunch table in the chair beside Elysia's, though she wasn't sitting here yet. It must've taken her a little bit longer to get here because her class before lunch was on the other side of school.

When she did arrive, though, it was with hurried steps and her lunch tray balanced in one hand, the other hand pushing a strand of her black hair out of her face while she walked. The look on her face reminded me of the day she'd knocked herself and some other girl over in the cafeteria, an event that she might've not even known I knew about. Her full lips shined with clear gloss and her honey brown eyes were framed with a pair of false lashes, the tan skin of her cheekbones shimmering with a pretty pink highlight. She looked really pretty, but that wasn't anything new. That girl always looked perfect.

Her short, curvy figure was clad in a strapless black crop top that had a bunch of deep yellow triangles and a burgundy colored triangle in the very middle, as well as a pair of high-waisted pants that were made of a dark gray velvet. For shoes, she had on a pair of black heels that pushed her up just a few inches higher. There was a gold necklace hung around her neck that fell right above her ample cleavage, teasing anyone who dared to look. Even so, I was sure that there had been no shortage of people who had looked despite the teasing nature that almost made you not want to look.

Elysia set her lunch tray down as she reached the table, letting out a soft sigh to herself as she went to sit down. When she went to sit down, she got close enough to me that our arms brushed, though I doubted she realized, and then I was hit with her scent. It wafted into my face, consuming my senses with the smell of syrup and berries.

"Hi." She greeted everyone in her light voice, looping her arms out of the straps of her backpack before she scooted in her chair. Everyone grumbled back their responses, though Jaxon just gave her a grin and lightly hit her knee with his. I saw her lips tug up into a small smile and she rolled her eyes playfully, glancing up at me when she finally felt my gaze on her. Although I wondered briefly if I should've looked away and broke our gazes, I didn't. Instead I just kept my eyes locked on hers, returning her friendly smile with a small one of my own.

Admittedly, I actually liked that she and I seemed to be giving one another the benefit of the doubt, a chance to get to know one another better. Just by the little bit of time I'd spent with her on Saturday, I found I wasn't surprised that we had both misjudged one another. She wasn't like I thought. I'd thought she was just a judgmental religious girl who mentally shamed anyone who did anything wrong, but she wasn't. It was safe to say that she was just weird as a person and if there was anything that confirmed that, it was those weird knick knacks she had.

I hadn't expected she'd be into weird, creepy little things like those, but I was wrong. She actually seemed to love them. I'd thought she would have had her room decorated differently, that it'd be less creepy and perhaps more...light. She had just struck me as the kind of girl who decorated her room with crosses and pictures with stupid quotes that made you cringe. I was relieved to see that I was wrong, though, because I didn't know how I'd react if I'd been right. It also seemed she was open in her beliefs, being that she'd said she believes in "everything." What exactly that means, I have no idea, but I plan on one day finding out. It seemed she had different layers to her personality and I was actually looking forward to getting to unravel them. Maybe I hadn't ever actually hated her, but had wanted to because I thought she hated me.

"Luke, are you even listening?" I heard Michael ask, the sudden mention of my name causing me to snap out of my thoughts. "Huh? What's happening?" I asked, looking around at everyone. I hadn't even realized that Elysia and I had broken eye contact already and I was now staring at the table while I thought. Calum snorted and Michael and Jaxon both rolled their eyes, while Elysia let out a soft giggle from beside me. "We're talking about what to do this weekend. They were saying we should all go out to the football game on Saturday, since Jax will be playing." Elysia explained to me, her brown eyes peering up at me. I bit my lip and scanned my eyes over her face, humming quietly in thought. "On Saturday?" I asked, glancing away from her.