11

~Elysia's POV~

"Oh, my god." I said in disgust as I stood in my kitchen, looking down at the sausages that my mom had asked me to get from the fridge. Once I had opened the door, I was greeted with the sight of very moldy sausages. Mom cast me a look and raised a brow. "I think you mean oh, my gosh." She corrected, narrowing her eyes at me as I shut the fridge with the moldy container of sausages in hand.

"Right, sorry." I apologized, giving her a sheepish smile as I set the container on the counter. Mom always had been very strict on her belief of never saying the lords name in vain and, whenever I slipped up, she'd get onto me about it. Personally, I wasn't very strict or serious about saying it. I tried not to say it, though, because I knew mom didn't approve of it. The very least I could do was respect that. She didn't care about cursing, but if someone dared to say the lords name in vain, she'd rain hellfire down on them. It wasn't like I was one to judge, though, considering that she had raised me under religion, so I was pretty used to it now. I had formed my own little habits when it came to religion as well, but I didn't think that they were anything like hers.

While mom liked to say prayers at dinner, I did not. I liked to say mine at the end of every day, usually right before I'd go to bed. That was just something that seemed more sensible to me, but to each their own. I had also formed the habit of praying not only for myself, but for everyone around me. Mom, however, had been the one to nudge me in that direction, but she'd only done so by telling me that she prayed for me and Henry and dad every day. After that, I'd started praying for people other than me. I prayed for my friends and family, too. For me, that's what it was about. It was about more than just myself.

"Elly?" Mom asked, causing me to blink as I was brought out of my thoughts. "Sorry. What were you saying?" I asked, frowning. I had a bit of a habit of zoning out. Mom smiled a bit and rolled her eyes as she whisked the pancake batter in the bowl. "I was asking if you could go to the store to get a fresh container of sausages. I didn't know those had been expired." She said, glancing over at me. I nodded and grabbed the expired sausages, tossing them into the trash can. "Yeah, I can do that. I'll be back." I smiled, rushing out of the kitchen and upstairs to my bedroom. When I found my car keys, I quickly jogged down the stairs and left the house, going out to my car. As I glanced across the street, half expecting Luke's car to be in the driveway of his house, I found that it wasn't there. The only car that was there was one of his parent's cars, though I wasn't sure which parent it belonged to.

Brushing that off, I got into my car and started up the engine, buckling my seatbelt before I pulled out of the driveway and began my drive to the store.

Once I arrived, I pulled into a spot in the parking lot and killed the engine, heading inside to find the right sausages. Since I knew it'd obviously be in the cold section, I went to the back of the store and began to search for the sausages, pushing a cart in front of me. After maybe five minutes of looking, I finally found the sausages that mom had had in the fridge and I went to grab them, right as someone else went to. My hand brushed his and I quickly jerked away, embarrassed that I hadn't noticed someone else aiming to grab them as well. "Sorry!" I exclaimed, looking up to meet a pair of grey eyes.

Standing in front of me was a guy that stood at about six foot with a head of messy brown hair and grey eyes, which were peering down into my brown ones. He gave me a charming smile and shook his head. "That's fine. You can have it. It'd be rude of me to take the last one from a pretty girl like you." He said casually, the compliment surprising me a little bit. Although it normally would've creeped me out to be complimented like that by a random guy, he was so charming that I couldn't help the blush that crept up into my cheeks. "Are you sure you don't want it?" I asked, a little hesitant on taking the last container if he needed it. The boy shook his head and gave me another smile. "I'm sure. You can have it." He insisted, so I hesitantly grabbed the sausages and dropped them into my cart.