Me, my baby.. And the wolf Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Nail Bitter

Christian POV

The next 24 hours were a blur, a full day of me awake, no food, no drink, no breaks. Just stood there, watching the doctors and nurses at the pack house work on my Mara's fragile pale body. 

I don't even know what is wrong with her. 

The doctors wont help me, tell me anything.. I'm close to going wolf. I want to scream at somebody. I am dead on my feet. I have nothing to tell Daniel, or Trina.. Or my sisters.. My parents stupidly called my sister, Katy and now she is freaking out as well. Mara and Katy are good friends, since they were 17. Katy is Trina's godmother.. 

My head is spinning, my wolf is on edge, tears on the verge of spilling. My knees feel weak. 

What am I supposed to do? What is wrong? Why did Mara faint? Is she going to pull through?

I feel our bond still, but it feels weak.. its weakening by the hour. That is what is leaving me on edge.  I cant relax because I just don't know what is going on. 

~*~

28 Hours After..

"THAT IS IT. WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?" I shout at the medical team. I know they all look and feel beyond worn out, but it's my mate in there, and I have the right to know what is going on!! This isnt just the life of my mate at stake here, but mine.. Trina's, the entire pack's! I will not take this lightly.

Doctor Franklin walks forward, a weary look in his eye, "Come with me Christian." He murmurs, leading me into the hospital room, where my mate lays, unconscious.

He sits down on a plastic chair, beckoning me beside him, "I will be honest with you, we are very worried about Samara's condition. We have taken bloods, urine samples, checked everything we possibly can, and at this current point, we cant find out the cause of the unconsciousness.." 

I am in a state of shock, "You? You don't know?" I splutter, "How can you not know?"

Doctor Franklin shakes his head, "I wish I did know.. I feel so.. useless not knowing.. Do you have any idea what it could be? Any clue as to what has changed?"

"All that has changed, to my knowledge.. she was abused by those men.. I don't know to what extent though. I never got to ask her.. All those injuries.. Maybe an infection? And the night before Mara collapsed, I marked and mated her.. she seemed fine. Exhausted.. but I thought that was normal. Mating wears you out.."

Doctor Franklin jumps up, shock evident on his face, he rushes over to Mara's delicate frame, and takes another load of bloods.

"What?" I demand, "What now?"

"I- I-" He stutters, as he extracts the blood, "I cant be sure yet. I will get these bloods rushed, and hopefully we will get the diagnosis we need." He rushes out of the room, leaving me alone.

Shakily, I leave the chair and walk over to my mate.. the woman I plan to live the rest of my life with, the woman I hope to make my wife. I have nearly lost her too many times. I will propose as soon as she awakens.. And she bloody well will wake up!! 

Samara Faye Stamford.

I take her hand in mine, noticing how it feels icy colder, and finally break down, collapsing to my knees beside her bed, "Mara.. you can't leave me. I need you. Trina needs you." I sob loudly, like I never have before. I feel so weak. Useless. Un-Alpha-like.

I just kneel there, holding onto my Mara's life as if holding onto her life essence, keeping her with me. I impatiently wait for Franklin to return. I need these blood results to show something. 

The possibilities come to mind, wondering what I had said to make the doctor rush for more blood tests.. Infection? The abuse from those men.. Marking.. Mating.. Maybe Mara is pregnant? That wouldnt put her in a coma would it? Thats not possible, right? It's probably an infection, or a virus.. or those rogues might've injected Mara with some sort of virus?? I wish I knew. I'm driving myself crazy thinking of all the possibilities. I've run myself into the ground. Tears continuously stream down my worn, exhausted cheeks.

I mustve aged over the past 2 days.. I feel like I have gone through too much for one man. I love Mara, but why did the spirits mate me somebody who has dealt with so much shit in her life? Somebody who needs so much support and assurance? Can I be what she needs me to be? Am I strong enough? Am I the right man for Mara? She deserves so much more than this.. I am so weak, so uneducated.. I dont have the knowledge or understanding she needs. 

I am ashamed of who I am. Who the spirits gave as a mate for the wonderful woman laying on the cold metal hospital bed because of something I did. Something I put her through. 

"I GOT IT!" I turn to see Doctor Franklin rushing into the room with a piece of paper, "Yes!"

"What?" I demand, seeing the room fill with nurses and other medical staff, "What have you got?"

Franklin shoves the piece of paper in my hand, and goes around the bed to check on Mara. My hand drops from hers, as I read the information on the sheet; alot of it I dont understand, but what I do understand is that Mara has a virus. I cant figure out what kind; I am not medically trained, but also at the bottom of the page is states that she is also pregnant! Mara is pregnant! Shit! Wow, just as my body fills with excitement, I read the last passage on the page, '2 weeks..' NO. One of those rogues raped and impregnated my mate! My poor innocent Mara. 

"What are you going to do?" I ask Franklin, worry chilling my bones.

"First of all, now we know what is going on, we have the right antibiotics to fight the infection-"

I cut him off, "What infection- I don't understand all this jargon!?"

"Samara has tertiary syphilis in simple terms.. usually wolves dont contract any form of infections or diseases, but the abuse was performed before Samara shifted for the first time, so she was to an extent- human, but due to her wolf genes, the virus escalated far quicker than it would for any human. Also, because of the pregnancy, her immune system is low. We have to first of all treat the virus, but due to the pregnancy being in its early stages, the antibiotics we will have to give her are very strong and could cause her to lose the baby." Franklin explains.

I nod, "Do what you have to do. Mara comes first."

My Mara is pregnant. With somebody else's baby. I am not angry at my mate, I am angry at those rogues. Those rogues not only impregnated my mate, but infected her!! How dare they! Thankfully they are all dead. Thats the only good thing I can think of right now. As long as Mara survives this, I will give her as many babies as she wants. She can have a football team of babies! We just have to get her through this. 

"Mara. I love you. Fight this! Please!" I beg her in a whisper, as I watch a nurse pump antibiotics into her almost lifeless body. "Fight this!" 

Thats the last thing I remember, before Franklin guides me to a chair, where I collapse into dreamless exhausted sleep.

What do you think? 

Is Mara gonna make it? Hmm?? 

Will the antibiotics cause her to miscarry? or will she be strong enough to fight it??

Comment and vote xx