Chapter 3

Nightmare

Her heart bangs against the white borders. Desperately trying to regain control.
Chara kept his control over Frisk's body. Making her step forward. He stopped to see what Sans has to say.
His eyes were closed for a moment. Deep in thought. Unmoving. He didn't seem intimidated by Chara. Frisk remembered Sans being so harmless. Lazy. Full of humor. She grew to love him over time.

How can he even face Chara? He would surely died right away. Trembling within her soul and crying to be heard to warn him.
But nobody heard her cries.
Nobody is there to help her out.
Her agony was interrupted by Sans' voice.

"Heya." Sans greeted, "You've been busy, huh?"

Chara's expression looked dark and stared at what Sans was about to say next.

"So, I've got a question for ya." Sans closed his eyes. He didn't seem scared nor intimidated. "Do you think the worst person can change? That everyone could be a good person if they tried?"

Chara motions closer to Sans. His smile gets more twisted. "You're hilarious."

Sans laughs in response. He closes his eyes for just a moment then opens them.
He nodded and shrugged, "All right. Well, here's a better question."

Bones appeared surrounding Sans. His eyes darkened and spoke, "Do you wanna have a bad time? 'Cause if you step another step forward. You're really not gonna like what happens next."

Chara draws closer to Sans. Readying Frisk's hand with the knife. He points it at him and smiles happily.

"This sounds like either this could be fun or could be boring if you're bluffing." Chara challenged.

Sans thinks about the old woman who was behind the door. The promise he made her to take care of the next human. Today, he must break that promise.

"Let's get to the point." Sans responded, "It's a beautiful day outside. Birds are singing. Flowers blooming..."

Chara charges at him.

"On days like these...kids like you..." Sans' eyes darken again, "Should be burning in hell."

He takes his hand and motions it quickly. Chara slams against the wall hard. Blood spews from Frisk's mouth. Pain went through out her body. A laugh is heard from Chara. He staggered standing up from the impact and glanced at Sans.

"Here we go." Sans smiled.

Frisk couldn't believe Sans power. Was he always this strong and fast? Maybe he actually has a chance to survive? Her thought was interrupted by the blast coming from the gaster blasters. It appears they died.

"Tch!" Chara growled. "He's certainly better than Undyne. This makes this even more annoying." He's hovering his hand over the reset button.

"Chara," Frisk interrupted. "You need to stop... How can you enjoy this?"

"My dear," Chara looked at her. "That's a stupid question."

Without answering her question, they appeared back at Sans. Chara glared deeply at Sans. Surely, this time, he won't die so easily.

"Heya," Sans greeted. "You look frustrated about something. Guess I'm doing my job, huh?" He winked.

Chara bites their finger. He knew that Flowey was aware with resets, but Sans? Frisk was just as surprised as he was. Whenever she had reset on her path, Sans had no knowledge of it. Was it he has seen everything all this time? Maybe he remembered Frisk!!

Bones launches at Chara once again. They would dodge only so much, but died over and over again. Everytime Chara returned, he gotten better at it. He tried slashing at Sans.

"What?" Sans smirked, "You'd think I'd stand there and take it?"

Chara growled as Sans unleashes a bombard of bones. His left eye glows a blue hue.

"You can't understand how this feels," Sans continued while hitting Chara's shoulder

"You can't understand how this feels," Sans continued while hitting Chara's shoulder. "Knowing that one day, without any warning... it's all going to be reset." He closed his eyes. Frisk can feel his anguish.

"You should just give up then." Chara spat. "Go ahead, kill me again. I'll keep coming back for you." Sans dodged Chara's slash attack. This frustrated Chara more than he cannot lay a single hit on him.

Their fighting seemed to last some time. Sans started to sweat a little bit and kept dodging Chara's attempts to hit him.

"Look," Sans panted. "I gave up trying to go back a long time ago." He unleashes more gaster blasters and Chara dodges them this time.

"Why not give up then?" Chara asked. "Fighting me is pointless!"

Sans shrugs as he dodges Chara's attack.
"To blunt, it's hard to give it my all."

Sans throws Chara's towards the ceiling. Chara glares angrily as using Frisk's body is starting to bleed more.

"And getting to the surface doesn't really appeal anymore, either." Sans continued. "Cause even if we do... we'll just end up right back here, without any memory of it, right?"

Frisk gasped.

Sans... In the surface...

Frisk kept thinking as Sans and Chara fought and talked.

"That really means he doesn't remember me." Frisk sobbed.

Chara was right. Even Sans, who seemed to remember everything, cannot remember the surface life. Her thoughts were interrupted by what Sans said next.

"All I know is..." Sans smiled sadly. "Seeing what comes next... I can't afford not to care anymore."

Something made sense to Frisk when she fought Omega Flowey. She remembered these words when she was saving Sans there.

Just give up... I did...

Frisk bangs her fists inside the black box.

He knew. He suffered for so long. Everything made sense.

It's because I exist...

Frisk stands up. This cannot happen anymore. All this suffering cannot go on! Her determination grew until...

SLASH

Frisk's eyes widened to Sans's bloody sight.

Chara struck Sans down.