Chapter 4

Pain

Blood trickled down to the ground. Sans stumbled and winced a bit. If only he didn't doze off. He had Chara trapped, but Sans lost his composure. Sans smirked a bit.

"Heh," Sans scoffed. "Didja really think you would be able-"

Frisk screams out.
Chara smiled wickedly. With a fast motion, he slashes right into Sans.

Sans!! No!!

Sans collapses. Chara looks down on him with a happy expression.

"So..." Sans coughed out some blood.  "Guess that's it, huh?" He struggled to get up. "... Just... don't say I didn't warn you." He smiled painfully. "Welp. I'm going to Grillby's."

Sans limps away. His hand reaches out as if he sees something.

"Papyrus, do you want anything?" Sans asked as he collapses. His blood smeared the ground and his body dispersed into dust.

"I did it!" Chara laughed.

"You're terrible..." Frisk cried. She pounds her fists down. "You killed him!!" Frisk screamed in agony.

Sans is gone. He's dead. Her only hope for this nightmare to end is now gone.
If only Frisk could reset. Her heart feels like it's broken. She lost the love of her life. She never got to tell him how she felt.

"Hum." Chara twirled his knife around. "Before we get to Asgore, I'm not quite satisfied with that death."

Frisk jolts up. What? What is he doing?

"Sans deserves to die over and over again like he did with us!" Chara exclaimed.

"No!" Frisk pleaded. "Just-"

Before she knew it, the world reset again to where Sans was at. The cycle repeated, Chara killed Sans. Each time had gotten quicker. Frisk kept reliving her nightmare over and over.

All hope is lost isn't there? No matter what Frisk was doing, she cannot save Sans.

No...!

I...!

Must....!

Frisk's expression changes. She gotten more determined. A bright light came from her SOUL. Chara yelps in surprise. He couldn't move her body anymore.

"Chara!" Frisk screamed through her tears. "I will save Sans and everyone!"

Reset appeared in her box she was trapped in. The button that was unreachable taken away from her. Her fist slams into reset. A bright light blinds them both.

"No!!" Chara yelled.

The world warps around her and Frisk sees Sans come into view. It appears Sans looked tired as he did in the fight. It appears he was pleading Chara from the timeline prior.

Did I reset from earlier in the fight?

"There's a glimmer of a good person inside of you." Sans spoke.  "The memory of someone who once wanted to do the right thing. Someone who, in another time, might have even been... a friend?"

"Sans..." Frisk's eyes welled up with tears. Her lip was quivering and hands her trembling.
Frisk looked down at her hand. She was still carrying the knife. Her hand immediately dropped it by the sight of it. There was no control with Chara anymore. Was he gone?

"That's right." Sans softly smiled. "Let's forget all of this, ok?"

Her tears kept flowing out.

"S-Sans..." Frisk cried. "I'm sorry!!"

Sans wiped his sweat and smiled at her. He extends his arms to welcoming her to an embrace.

"C'mere."

Frisk runs into him. She hugs him tightly and cried.

"I won't let it go to waste." Sans whispered.

Sans lifts his hands and a tone of bones strikes into Frisk's chest. She coughs out blood and slumps onto the ground.

This is what I deserve. Frisk thought.

After not being strong enough to save you... I deserve this.

Sans held her in his arms. Frisk's vision was going black. She smiled with all her strength.

This is for the best..

Her hand weakly touches Sans' face.

Wet? Is he crying...?

For me...?

Frisk's eyes closes

Frisk's eyes closes. Everything is silent. The only thing Frisk sees upon her death are the words "Hard Reset."

What's the point in returning?

I may cause pain again...

Let me just die...

Without Frisk's choice, something taps "Hard Reset" for her. A bright light covers her surroundings.

No.

I don't want to return!