Chapter 10

The Final Reset

Sans breathed really hard. The darkness quickly warps into a bright, yellow room. It's the judgement hall again. He sees Frisk there, looking just as shocked as he does. Their gaze at each other, makes tears build up in their eyes. Sans didn't let his guard down. It looks like time has gone back to where they were. Before Frisk was killed.

Sans knew what was coming as he sees Frisk's body glitches into Chara's. The knife. How Frisk tries to protect Sans. With Sans' quick reflexes, he grabs onto Frisk dearly and uses his bone to deflect Chara's attack.

Chara grits his teeth, as he bounces back from the impact. His anger intensifies as he sees how closely Frisk is to Sans. He doesn't want to kill this Frisk. He remembers before the last reset, she died. Frisk would have been dead for good if it wasn't for Sans taking her SOUL to reset one last time. His tightens his grip on the knife's handle.

Frisk is overwhelmed with emotions. Not only is she alive again, she's being held by Sans. She trembles a little bit against him as he strokes his hand on her back. Her head hurts a bit this time as some memories flow back to her. Frisk gathers the courage to speak.

"Chara," Frisk slowly moves herself from Sans. Sans softly grabs her hand in protection of her. "I remember. You. Everything."

Chara's eyes widened a bit. Speechless, but not moving his stance. His hand trembled uncontrollably.

You should know me.

It wasn't just the VHS tapes Frisk had watched. Frisk did know Chara.

Frisk's eyes welled up with tears. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I had forgotten you too." Her free hand reaches out to Chara.

Frisk is sparing Chara. Sans looks at Frisk in disagreement. Frisk shakes her head at him.

"I always spare. Everyone." Frisk squeezes Sans's hand in encouragement. "Everyone deserves a chance. Just like Asriel has done bad things too."

Chara's clenched his teeth against his bottom lip enough to make it bleed. He could very well kill her and everyone. But the fact she remembered. Being remembered. A tear forms in his left eye. He doesn't understand his own feelings. But he has lost.

"You idiot..." Chara choked on his own words. "Always being kind. It's so ignorant. Giving me mercy, really?"

Chara bitterly laughed as Sans kept his guard up. "Show me." His eyes glowed red. "Continue showing me mercy!"

Sans readies his attack, but Frisk grabs his sleeve. "Please, don't."

Sans looks at her, in surprise. "But Chara killed everyone. He killed Papyrus. Everyone." Sans kept trying to conceal his tears, but he couldn't hold them back. He put his hand on Frisk's cheek. "He..he killed you."

"You killed her too." Chara scoffed. Sans eyes glared yellow and blue towards him. He was right though. Those words hurt Sans. But Sans was only trying to avenge his friends and family. He wants to kill Chara and end this. Yet Frisk told him not to. Protect Chara? Why?

"I don't want anyone else to die." Frisk bit her lip. Looking down.

Chara begins to attack both of them. Sans helps Frisk dodges Chara's attacks. Frisk also helps Sans stay out of danger. Over and over. Frisk kept trying to show mercy. It seems as if hours passed. So many words Chara kept spouting out.

"Human and monsters both seem alike."

"Like my brother said, it's kill or be killed."

"How many times have monsters killed you, Frisk?!"

And then, finally.

"You were just like me." Chara panted. "When you fell down, you wanted to die too?"

Sans looked concerned at Frisk.

"I.." Frisk looked down. Some silent tension went between them. Then, she stopped hesitating to speak. "I did. I hard a hard life... People mistreated me and abused me. I ran away. To end it all."

Sans looks at her, in disbelief. He had no idea Frisk had a bad past. But it made sense. Not often humans fell down here. He always assumed it was an accident, but was it always the case with the other humans Asgore killed?

"But!" Frisk argued, "I found a purpose! Here!"

"Even though they killed you too?" Chara sneered.

"They thought I was a threat." Frisk answered. "But when I showed them kindness and mercy." She smiled at Sans and he smiled back. "They gave me what others haven't given. Real love."

Frisk walks towards Chara. She offers her hand to him.

"I give you my kindness. My compassion." Frisk smiled more. "There's such a thing. We can all get along."

Chara didn't meet her gaze. He couldn't look at her. What was this feeling? Guilt. His own heart hurt.

Ah, I understand now. He thought.

Chara bitterly laughed again, but tears come out. He has to let all this go. Frisk can't be his. She is different than him. He loves that about her. A twisted, contradictory love. His immorality contradicts himself a lot. He could have been with the other alternative timeline Frisk. The Frisk similar to him. It's strange how opposite of him attracts him. This Frisk. It's strange how he wants possession over her. Strange. Weird. He admits defeat. He's too confused to think straight. All the sins crawling on his back now overwhelms him.

"I can't do this." Chara said it low enough for no one to hear.

"What?" Frisk asked.

But Chara was gone. He vanished.