Chapter 9

Determination

Stumbling back from the impact from the knife, blood poured out of Frisk. She looks back weakly towards Sans.

"I'm glad..." Frisk weakly gasped through her smile, "You're ok..."

Sans looked at her, in shock. She collapses in front of him.

No...

Feelings and memories poured out of Sans.

***

He remembered the first timeline he met the human. He remembered the promise he made towards Toriel.

"If any human comes by..." Toriel cried, "Please, protect them."

At first, Sans had watched Frisk. He put no effort into protecting her. He saw her die at one point. Then, the world reset. Relieved, he saw that Frisk was ok. Yet, he was even suspicious at the time of her. Other timelines, he did remember Frisk killing everyone. Except for this one..

Why was the world repeating each time? Why does it seem like she also remembers but not everyone else? Why was it like this every time? It must be her determination.

One timeline, she accidentally killed a monster with self defense. From a distance, Sans saw her crying a lot. He saw her motion her hand over the reset button. After that, Sans grew to respect her.

After her fight with Undyne, he was faking his nap as Undyne was chasing Frisk. He used a ketchup bottle to make Undyne trip to protect her. Or when he had a spider delivered to Muffet explaining about what a good human Frisk was. (Even though the dang spider was slow at delivering. But, hey, the little guy has small legs. Can't blame them.)

As for when Flowey had taken everyone's souls for captive.

"Just give up." Sans' lost soul said to Frisk. "I did."

"Why even try?"

****

All the pain from the timelines. All the suffering. All those Sans made one. Everything made sense to Frisk now, as she is dying.

"You'll never see them again..." Sans' own words come back to bite him.

Sans goes onto the ground and holds Frisk's body. Tears uncontrollably fall off of Sans' cheeks. Last time, he cried for Frisk is when he actually did kill her. This was much worse. Frisk cannot reset anymore. Chara's standing there, speechless.

"Sans.." Frisk spoke up.

"I'm here." Sans cried. Squeezing Frisk close to him.

"I'm sorry..." Frisk coughed. Some blood comes out of her mouth.

"Stop it." Sans tears kept flowing. Frisk was crying too, despite her smiling. "I can't let you die...!!"

All the laughs. The jokes. The fun times they had at one timeline. His heart's breaking seeing it end like this.

"I... didn't want to tell you this now."
Sans weeped, "Of all times, why must it be this way? Why must it be now that I realized these feelings of mine?!" He yelled in agony.

Frisk's expression changes. She can barely open her eyes. It was hard for her to see him like this. It only made her cry more.

"Frisk, I love you...!!"

Frisk draws her last breath. Her smile appeared one last time. She's gone.

No.

No. No. No!!!

Sans screamed out with all his tears. His eye was glaring blue. He's so angry at Chara. Angry at himself for not believing in Frisk about him. If only Sans didn't let his guard down, Frisk would still be here!!!

"It's all YOUR FAULT!" Words that came out of Chara's mouth instead of Sans'. "If it weren't for you, she wouldn't have died!!"

Chara angerly kept trying to attack Sans. Sans kept carrying Frisk and dodging Chara's attacks.

"If no one forgotten about me, this wouldn't have happened!!" Chara yelled louder. Can't even land a hit on Sans.

"FRISK WAS SUPPOSED TO BE MINE!"

Those words angered Sans' more. He let out his biggest gaster blaster attack. The blast is so huge and bright, it made Chara's body instantly turn to ashes. Chara had said something about coming back again through the attack. But Sans doesn't care what Chara had said.

Sans collapses on the floor with Frisk's body. Holding her dearly. Crying more.

And then.

Her SOUL appears out of her body. Shining right in front of Sans. It didn't look like it broke. Sans' hand reaches out for the SOUL. His finger barely touches it. A light shines through and everything goes black.

RESET

Those words appeared in front of Sans in the void he's in.

In hopes to seeing Frisk again, he presses the button. Sans is the most determined he's ever been.