Chapter 7

Anxiety

All Frisk had told Sans didn't seem to line up completely. There must have been another Frisk along the resets. Another Frisk that actually chose to be with another Chara. Unlike the other timelines, Sans hasn't encountered this type of Frisk. He has only known two Frisk's before this one. The one from being a pacifist to reach the surface and the one who was just plain creepy and genocidal.

This woman in front of him, who is she?

In the depths of Sans's memories, flashbacks come running through his head. All the trauma he has endured, one can think he would have gone insane.
Sans repeatly watched Papyrus in every timeline, murdered. He remembered crying each time and clutching Papyrus's dust covered scarf in his bony hands.

Useless. I'm so useless!!

No matter how hard Sans fought each timeline, nothing has changed. He died only to repeat the process again.
Again and again. All these painful memories. But each time, Sans had hoped Frisk would come back to Pacifist. He knew there was good in her.

This is the first timeline that has been really different. This Frisk just seemed to want to end her life. Her hands are still trembling. Her eyes cannot even meet his. Sans sighed.

This will be the last time. The last time I will hold on to hope.

Sans composed himself. Forcing his regular, chilled grin. "Look, girl." Sans started to speak, "I don't exactly fully trust ya."

Frisk flinched.

"I don't blame you." Frisk trembled. Her hand clutches against her sweater. It hurts her that she can't be trusted, but she gets it. There was a bit of silence in the room. Even though Frisk wanted to end this all, she cannot help but be selfish to continue on. A slight filling of determination fills her soul. Chara hasn't appeared yet, so she will use this opportunity to try to make things back to the way they were.

"Sans." Frisk still couldn't look at him. "I just want everything back to normal... It's fine that you can't trust me." Her heart pounds a bit. "Even though this seems hopeless, I'll make use to my last reset by trying to go back to the surface."

Sans scratched his skull. "What do ya mean by 'last reset?'"

"I don't have the power to do it anymore..." Frisk continued. "If...if I actually die. I will not come back." Frisk looks up at him and forces a painful smile. "That's why I want you to watch me. Stop me if I seem to have bad intentions. Do not hesitate to kill me if I try to hurt someone again."

Hearing that has made the skeleton a bit sad. Wait, why should he be sad? Chara probably doesn't exist and Frisk is feeling guilty for her sins. This is all something to redeem herself, right? The Frisk he knew was always probably this way. His teeth grit in anguish. But maybe she is telling the tru-

No. I will not let my heart cloud my judgement.

"Alright." Sans voiced. "We have a deal." His sockets darkened and he offered his hand. Frisk hesitantly grabbed it to shake it. His hand was surprisingly warm.

"Let's start by avoiding coming across Papyrus." Frisk proposed.

Without answering and still holding Frisk's hand, they teleported out of the house. Into the Waterfall they go.

...

The sound of water flowing is heard around. The whispers of the echo flowers chant about. Sans is following Frisk at a large distance with his hood up. He knew Undyne would come out any moment once Frisk reaches the tall grass. The anxiety welled up inside Frisk. Horrendous memories of Papyrus's and Undyne's deaths shown in her head. Haunted by their last words hurt her heart tremendously. At least she avoided Papyrus, but Undyne was coming up. She couldn't shake the trauma that's bothering her.

To Sans' surprise, Frisk falls to her knees and starts to puke a little from her anxiety. He rushes over to her and hesitantly patted her back.

"Hey, uh..." Sans spoke up then sheepishly smiled to bring about a corny pun.  "I can't stomach this type of humor."

Frisk bitterly chuckled while wiping her mouth with her sleeve. That was a terrible pun, but it was nice of Sans to try to lighten the load of her anxiety. Despite everything, Sans can still joke around and be himself. Maybe he was forcing himself to cover up his own pain.

Sans kind of laughed himself at seeing Frisk giggle at his stupid pun. Frisk didn't have to say anything. He just can see by her motions that she isn't ok. Sans was about to say something but was interrupted by the sound of footsteps nearby.