Chapter 4

[Wolfkit's POV]

As Tinystar called the clan meeting, we already knew what it would be about. Spokenkit had been bragging about becoming an apprentice all day, while Nightkit just followed her sister around. I headed with my siblings and sat with our mother as Spokenkit, Nightkit, Acornkit, and Silentkit headed toward the front of the group. The four kits had been spending a lot of time together. They were all annoying in my opinion. 

"We have two kits that have turned six moons today. Spokenkit and Nightkit, would the both of you step up?" I heard Tinystar but I could hardly see the small leader as all the other warriors blocked me. 

I frowned and pinned my ears back. I wanted to see the ceremony at least! This was going to be just a waste of my time if I couldn't see anything. My siblings had already begun to climb on Angelwing so that they could see, so there would be no room on her for me. I looked around and spotted Riversand. He had been sitting in the back, and that meant I might be able to see if I could go over to him. 

I headed toward the warrior and looked up to him with large eyes. "Can I go on top of you so that I can see?" I pleaded trying to make myself look at pathetic as possible. 

It seemed to work as the massive warrior leaned down and let me climb onto his back. I settled myself and put my paws on his head so that I lifted myself up more. I could see the whole ceremony now! 

Spokenkit had stepped up in front of Tinystar. Witheredsoul stood next to our leader, and Nightkit stood next to her sister. 

"Spokenkit, from this day forward until you become a warrior, you shall be called Spokenpaw. Your mentor will be Witheredsoul. I trust him to show you the ways that he was taught." The female leader gave a small purr as she looked at her deputy. 

Spokenpaw moved to be in front of Witheredsoul. The black and white tom leaned down and touched his nose to Spokenpaw's. He looked like he whispered something to her, but I could not hear anything. 

"Nightkit, from this day forward until you become a warrior, you shall be called Nightpaw. I will be your mentor." Tinystar announced and leaned down to the pure black female and touched her nose with her own. 

The clan erupted into loud cheering for the two new apprentices. I did not remember when we had apprentices before. I must have been really small or not even born by that time. I knew that I would be an apprentice soon. I wondered who would be my mentor. I did not want Maplesnow to by my mentor. He looked weird with all the scars that he now had all over his pelt. I also did not want an old mentor like Nightscare. I wanted someone young that could keep up with me.