ACT 7: The Aftermath

The sheet of paper shook in my hands as I smiled widely. Students went all around the room to ask their friends about their scores, Izuku was no exception.

" (Y/n)! What did you get?!" He hollered as he ran next to me, with a thrilled expression, I proudly showed him my results His smile somehow got brighter as he read it through. He engulfed me in a hug.

" Holy shit! You did it! Now we can become a hero duo like I said!" He exclaimed, I nodded eagerly.

" Right! All we need to do now is pass the physical exam!

Then we'll be the heroes we always wanted to be together!"

———

How pathetic... I got my hopes up. All for nothing...

———

After the physical exam...

I looked at the hologram in front of me with hollow eyes. I gripped the letter in my hands. All Might's words from the hologram kept echoing through my head.

" We regret to inform you that you will unfortunately not be attending the hero training courses. You will instead be assigned in the General Studies course. You will be studying basic high school education, much like how it usually is in other schools."

I sighed, it was painful to try to choke back the tears. The lump in my throat wouldn't go away.

" Basic education..." I repeated softly.

" Basic... just like in non-hero schools." I said, in a barely audible whisper. The crumpled written exam acceptance letter was still in my shaking fist.

" I knew it..." My voice was hoarse as I looked to the letter. I swallowed the heavy lump in my throat as my sight blurred. Tears streamed down my puffy cheeks.

" My quirk would never be useful for people who want to be heroes." I mumbled. I looked back up to the hologram, with All Might and his famous wide grin plastered on his face. I stood up and quickly shut off the hologram. I tossed it in the trash and jumped onto my bed. I pulled my blankets over me and buried my head into my pillows. Then I heard a knock.

" Hey kid. Didja get accepted in the hero course?" His voice was faint, but I could tell by the tone of it, he was hopeful. I sighed and turned away from the door. I wiped my wet face with my sleeve and hugged myself.

" Kid? Hello?"

I stayed quiet and hugged myself tighter.

" (Y/n)...?" He asked quieter, by this point I was sure he knew something was wrong. He knocked again. I still said nothing. I heard the door knob click open and saw the light from the hallway seep into my dark room.

" Ah, I see the issue." He replied, when I still didn't answer I felt the bed dip down a little as he sat on it. He put a gentle hand on my shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly. Then a flicker of light from the hologram came from my garbage can. All Might's figure appeared, his smile bright as ever. I heard his voice say the words again. The words I still dreaded.

" We regret to inform you that you will unfortunately not be attending the hero training courses. You will instead be assigned in the General Studies course. You will be studying basic high school education, much like how it usually is in other schools."

Tears threatened to fall again as I heard the malfunctioned hologram repeat itself. I heard it click off.

" Hey, I turned it off." He said softly, as he sat on the bed again.