15 | Calum

The ringing bell unleashed a deafening shriek, and chaos erupted. Punches were thrown, and bloody, tape-wrapped knuckles were the norm. It was an absolute mayhem, but what could you expect from an illegal boxing match?

My opponent for the night was a tall man, standing at around 6'3, with short brown hair and bulging muscles visible through the thin white tank top he wore. His name was Tommy, and it was my first time squaring off against him. Tommy was notorious in the illegal boxing scene and the nightlife, and his reputation wasn't built on being a sweetheart, much like Luke.

We tested each other with jabs and blocks. I managed to land a solid blow to his ribs, but my follow-up, a hook to his jaw, missed as Tommy skillfully pulled his head back. He was bigger than me - so how could he move so fast?

For every powerful punch I delivered, I received two in return. I had the strength advantage, but Tommy's speed was undeniable.

The rules in illegal fighting were straightforward: you win when your opponent is down. Either unconscious or dead. Preferably not dead, that will give way too big of a mess. Illegal activities were best kept off the police radar.

My breathing remained steady and calm. In the ring, there was no room for fear or hesitation. My blows were gaining power. It had been a while since I had engaged in bare-knuckle boxing with someone this size. I took a punch to my rib cage, but it was manageable. I shook it off, knowing that I had to stay focused and resilient, or I'd be quick to give up if things didn't go my way.

My hands burned as Tommy took another swing, which I skillfully dodged, allowing me to connect my sore fist with the other man's lower left jaw once more. That one landed solidly. Another hit followed, causing Tommy to stumble. I capitalized on the opportunity with another punch, which made him spit out some blood.

The mouthguard inside was getting on my nerves, tempting me to remove it, but I chose to keep it in place since I preferred having all my teeth intact

People around me were screaming, boosting my confidence. It was clear that nobody here cared about my muteness. They only cared about the blood, the gore, and the fight. All I needed to do was land one more punch, and I'd secure the victory.

Tommy, on the other hand, didn't want to go down without a fight and landed another punch. Surprisingly, his move gave me the advantage I needed to take my final shot. I swiftly turned, and the most painful parts of my knuckles met his chin. The slight thud of Tommy hitting the ground was overshadowed by the wild, cheering crowd in the background.

Everyone began counting from one, and I stood over the guy's body, my fists still poised for action in case the fight continued. Tommy wasn't looking up; his eyes were closed, and his face was twisted in pain as the counting continued up to ten.

The crowd erupted in cheers. The referee promptly jumped back into the ring, grabbing my arm and hoisting it into the air in victory.

"The winner—Calum Hood!"

Ashton approached the ring and gave me a bro hug. "Good job, Cal. That was a good one," he complimented. He handed me a towel, and I signed "thanks" before using it to wipe away the sweat on my face and neck. Fortunately, there was a conspicuous absence of blood on the towel, and it was always a good fight if I didn't end up in the ER.

I tossed my towel onto the ground and turned back to Ashton. "I would've missed out on a lot of money if I listened to you," I signed, crossing my arms as I stared at the man in front of me. I was grateful that my closest friends knew sign language. Ashton had known it even before I met him, as his little brother is deaf. Michael, on the other hand, learned it from scratch and had become a fluent signer. Very useful when we need to talk without anyone hearing us.