32 | Elizabeth

warning: smut

--------

The plane descended, and I gazed out of the small window. Below, the sprawling city of Los Angeles came into view, its intricate network of roads and buildings laid out like a sprawling maze.

The brief journey back home proved to be immensely rewarding. Reuniting with my parents and my brother filled me with joy, and spending time with old high school friends allowed me to catch up on everyone's current lives and adventures (especially when Joy showed up with a pregnancy belly).

The moment my plane had touched down in Boston two weeks ago, a wave of nostalgia and familiarity washed over me. It had been a while since I last set foot in my hometown, and the sense of coming back to my roots was incredibly comforting.

Boston had always brought a sense of comfort to my soul. The city's charming streets, lined with centuries-old buildings and the ever-familiar smells of bakeries and coffee shops, were a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles.

As the plane touched down, the seatbelt sign turned off, and the passengers began to stir. I collected my carry-on bag and made my way to the exit. The warm Los Angeles air greeted me as I disembarked from the plane, and I took in the familiar scent of the city that I now considered home.

During the first few days I was in Boston - Calum started to act distant. He responded sparsely to my texts and didn't keep his promise of video calls. When I asked him if anything was going on, he claimed it was just due to the demands of his schoolwork and working out with Ashton. I knew it was a lie, and it got me worried and had me overthinking most of my trip.

After about a week, we finally had the chance to facetime. Calum was at home and assured me that everything was fine, but he seemed distant and barely used sign language, relying mostly on text to communicate during our call. If only I hadn't noticed the small cuts on his knuckles when he scratched his chin or the faint, yellow bruise that was only visible when he walked beneath the kitchen light. It was clear he had been in a boxing fight while I was away.

I exited the airport and hailed a taxi, the drive back to our apartment seemed endless.

Finally, the taxi pulled up in front of our apartment building, and I raced up the stairs to our unit. Fumbling with my keys, I unlocked the door and pushed it open, revealing our home.

My eyes darted around the room, searching for Calum. There he was, sitting on the couch, a book in hand, and a faint smile on his face as he noticed my arrival.

"Hey," I said, releasing my suitcase with a thud and dropping my backpack beside it. Calum set his book down on the couch and immediately rose, heading in my direction. He enveloped me in a warm embrace. As I clung to him, relishing the reassuring warmth and the steady cadence of his breath, I sensed a sudden twinge of discomfort. Gazing up, I slowly disengaged from his embrace.

"Are you alright?" I asked. Despite his efforts to conceal the pain, I saw right through it. He nodded.

Yes, I pulled a muscle at the gym he signed.

Concern etched my features as I watched him, unconvinced by his casual response. "Are you sure it's just a muscle strain?" I pressed, my eyes probing for more information. Calum nodded.

"Don't push yourself so hard next time," I said, giving him a soft smile. He nodded in understanding, then used his thumb to tilt my head upward, sealing our reconnection with a tender kiss that I eagerly reciprocated.

I couldn't help but notice the cuts on his knuckles, which were mostly healed but still looked quite rough. I pretended like I didn't see them.

"Missed you," I whispered softly before he wrapped me in his arms once more.