28 | Elizabeth

"You are dating Calum?" Amy hissed as I closed the door behind her. I had called her earlier this morning, as there was no point in hiding it anymore.

"Well, we're not officially dating, or maybe we are - we didn't really have that conversation yet, at this moment we're just.. you know?" I stuttered, but Amy shook her head. "No, I don't know, all I know is that he beats people up for money, Liz! Have you told him that yet?" she said, and I let myself sink onto the couch. I knew she wasn't rooting for Calum and me, but Calum wasn't a bad guy.

"You don't know him like I do, Amy," I retorted, and she responded with a sarcastic chuckle. "Do you even hear yourself right now? 'You don't know him like I do'? This isn't a Twilight movie, you know?" she said, and I rolled my eyes. "I know that," I replied, annoyed by her comparison.

"Are you even in love with him? Or are you in love with the thought of being with him and of finally being loved by someone?" she asked. I thought about it and said, "At first I was in love with the thought of him but now my thoughts are coming true, so I am falling for him, head over fucking heels."

Amy leaned against a wall, studying me closely and shook her head. "But you guys are lying to each other," she stated, and I let out a deep sigh. "He's been dishonest about practically everything he's ever told you. How can you be certain he's not toying with your emotions just to get you into his bed?" she questioned.

"I'm not dumb, Amy. Just because he lied once doesn't mean everything he says is a lie,"

"Once? He lied to you about school, his friends, his job, how he pays the fucking rent to this place, you can't be in his ass that deep that you're not seeing that, right?" she sneered and I knew this topic was getting on her nerves. "He could be fucking dangerous, you don't know him!" she said.

Despite his involvement in fighting for money, the way he behaved when we were alone didn't make him seem dangerous.

"Okay, you know what, you're a grown up, it's your decision, but if he doesn't tell you within a week about his little fight club, I'll tell him we know," Amy said, crossing her arms. I wasn't going to fight her, the truth had to come out eventually and fighting Amy was an exhausting battle that I wasn't going to win anyway. 

She took a seat beside me and asked, "What have you two been up to lately? I haven't seen you around in days." My thoughts drifted back to the past few days, during which Calum and I had spent a lot of time together.

Our kitchen was our makeshift dance floor. It wasn't a grand ballroom in a fancy hotel, nor was it spacious enough to accommodate more than just the two of us, but it didn't matter. Calum had put on a playlist while I sat at the kitchen table, working on a university essay. I recognized some of the songs – they were from bands Calum often listened to. When a Cigarettes After Sex song began to play, Calum rose from his chair.

Whispered something in your ear, it was a perverted thing to say. But I said it anyway, made you smile and look away, the voice of Greg Gonzalez filled the kitchen.

He walked around the table, extended his hand, and gently tugged me to my feet. I raised an eyebrow in surprise, but he tugged again, and I obliged. He held me by the waist and pulled me close, our bodies swaying to the music. My hands ached from writing and taking notes, and we were both tired after a long day, but I clung to him as if fearing he might drift away if I didn't hold on tight enough.

Nothing's gonna hurt you baby as long as you're with me, you'll be just fine. Nothing's gonna hurt you baby, nothing's gonna take you from my side.

the lyrics continued. We swayed back and forth, Calum's rhythmic breathing serving as a comforting backdrop. The music played on, and we danced as though the world had come to a standstill, watching us hold each other close, moving in harmony.