2.

Axel sat with Esme as she painted. It was very abstract.

"Esme?"

"Yes." She paused mid-stroke with the paint brush.

"What are moms supposed to be like?" He asked and her eyes softened.

"A mother should be consistent, caring, and soft. She should create a stable environment for her child. A good mother will pour her kindness and love into the very heart and soul of her child." Esme kneeled in front of him as if he were a little boy, "You should be able to trust your mother and be willing to pass the exact same nurturing to her."

Axel nodded sadly, "I don't have that."

Esme flinched a bit. "You'll find it, one day, I promise you."

"Ok..."

"Let's go take a breath of air. Nibbles decided to nap on the couch." She giggled gently patting the pooch.

"Lead the way, Esme."
---------

They walked outside to see the slush of snow being washed away by rain.

"I've always liked rainy days." Esme said with a smile.

"Why? It's all moist and stuff." He asked looking at her as he shook his hair.

"Rain brings a new, fresh start. The flowers are growing." Esme crouched to look at the marigolds.

"Are those yours?" He asked and she shook her head.

"They belong to Carlisle. I care for them when he isn't here." Esme explained tilting the leaf a bit and allowing the water to spill into the dirt below.

Axel sneezed and Esme look notice of his shivering.

"Are you cold? We can go inside, Sweetheart." She offered.

"I'm fine." He said bashfully.

"Come. I'll show you to the bathroom while I dry your clothes. It was dumb of me to let you walk out here." Esme said leading him back into the house.
------

Axel shrugged his clothes off and looked at the steaming water.

"When you're undress, pass your clothes through the door." Esme said from outside.

He shook away his thoughts and picked up his clothes. The boy opened the door a bit and slid them through.

"I'll be back." The woman said walking away.

Ax went and sat in the tub. His skin instantly turned red from how hot the water was. He laid back and looked at the ceiling thinking about his life.

He slowly let go of the side of the tub and began going under. It irritated his nose as first but he ignored it. His chest burned a bit. That burning grew quickly and he was suddenly pulled out of water.

Esme held him as he coughed into her dress. She couldn't say anything or rather, she had nothing to say.

"Mom." He muttered unconsciously making her tear up.

"Axel, It's ok."

He jolted up hitting her in the face and they both winced.

"Sorry. For hitting you and calling you mom." His face turned red.

"It's fine. Umm..." She glanced at the tub for a moment. "Are you alright?"

"Absolutely." He said covering himself with the towel that was in her arm as he got out.

"Are you sure?" Esme asked again.

"Esme... I don't wanna talk about that." Axel glared for a moment before sighing.