chapter 01

C H A P T E R   0 1

a/n: yep, i nailed and ended nanowrimo with a bang because of this story. sorry for the laaate upload because i legit want to stock up chapters before i commit myself to update this damn book. dedicated to cate because her nano word count makes me continue even after hitting my word count goal.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The coffeemaker in the Student Council room suddenly stopped working and Ginny realized that her day would set to be a shitty one. Virginia Dawson may be a lot of things, but patient was not one of them or was she a good barista. Her index finger jabbed one of the buttons and yet coffee did not spill out from the damn machine to the cup , she would explode on the spot.

"Henry!" Ginny yelled for her vice president, even though there was no one in the Student Council room except for her. Everyone was enjoying their lunchtime, but as per usual Ginny was the anomaly among the ragtag bunch of misfits that made up majority of her subordinates. "God damn it, who the— "

"—I don't think it is wise to utter string of swear words where there's no one here," a smooth voice interrupted Ginny's solitude.

Ginny let out a sigh, turning her back and face one of the most insufferable human being she ever had the privilege to meet. "Daniel," Ginny greeted while curling her finger into ball of fist like the Arthur cartoon meme. "What are you doing here?"

"Existing, like every human being has the right to, Pres," Daniel Smith-Walker's voice was silky and smooth, hiding his manipulative and shrewd nature. Or the fact that he and Ginny were constantly battling for the top of the class in class rankings. "Henry is enjoying his well-deserved break, Pres."

"Stop calling me, Pres," Ginny admonished, grabbing her still empty cup of coffee. She plopped herself down on the chair at the end of the huge meeting table, the same one she usually occupied whenever she's heading a Council meeting. "What do you want, Dan?"

The redheaded boy chuckled and Ginny could not understand how on Earth she's one of the handful people who could actually not get scared of him. There's nothing to be scared of, honestly. Even if Daniel's golden eyes often shined with mischief and a tad bit of knowing, Ginny knew not to let her guard down around him which made it easier for their belligerent interactions honestly. She knew where she stood with Daniel and it just made everything easier for them (although she would never admit it even under the threat of being held at gunpoint).

Unlike with certain someone, who had well screwed her over despite not showing obvious signs of mischief and highly able mind for catastrophe like Daniel. But then again, everyone seemed keen to mask their true colors and only got better at doing so as the time ticked away.

"President?" Daniel was suddenly sitting right in front of Ginny, on her sacred meeting table. He snapped his finger right across her face, snapping her out from the unwanted trance. "You seem off."

She would always trust Daniel to not beat around the bush, even if he had certain inclinations to resort to his scarily persuasive ways. "I know you want to sound like Sherlock, Daniel, but it is obvious since I don't get my dose of caffeine. I am getting cranky now."

"You are always cranky, Virginia," Daniel informed, dangling his feet as he sat on the meeting table. Ginny pushed her wheeled black leather chair back, giving her space to kick Daniel on the shin. She wanted to be able to say that she's surprised when Daniel nimbly avoided her kicks. "And you're trying to beat me once again in this petty one sided competition."

"This rivalry between us is not one sided," Ginny swiftly retorted, focusing to kick Daniel again. But this time, he jumped from his seat and walked over her direction. His face was only merely inches away from hers and his intense golden eyes stared right into her black ones.