chapter 12

a/n: after almost five months of no update (thanks uni ugh), here it is the 12th chapter! updates will resume weekly, and especially it is currently camp nano, so I really want to finish this story this month (10 more chapters to go in my drafts!)

<><><>

"I'm not saying that you should erase his mistakes, but I do say that you might regret if you don't accept his 'generous' help," Audrey remarked, still focused on the television right in front of her.  At least she did not use the air quote gesture when she said the word generous.

Ginny and her mother were sitting in front of the television, enjoying the breezy Saturday night. Law and Order SVU newest episode. For now, she had nothing to do aside from handling the Axel debacle (even his name rhymed with the word, must be a sign). Just in the afternoon, she had defeated the monstrous pile of her homework, and yesterday she finished her draft for college application essay while on Face Time with Noah. For once, Ginny relished the calmness and soothing effect of a weekend night in which she was free. It had been far too long since she enjoyed the break from school. Last summer was spent for her internship in the mayor's office and volunteering as a librarian assistant in the Clover Springs Public Library. She may not share an ounce of DNA with Mark, but the workaholic tendency was one of the materials that made up the common ground they shared.

Mark was still away at work, working on another case kept him busy in the office. He worked in the city, two hours away from the suburban town Clover Springs. Sometimes, the traffic kept him longer than usual, but he always reached back home. Ginny did not want any kind of relationship with anyone for now, but if she was ready to settle down, she hoped she could find something as stable and mature as Mark and Audrey had.

"What he did to me is horrible, Mom," Ginny said slowly. If she rushed the words, Audrey would only try to console the anger away, and Ginny was not sure if she could deal with it right now. Yes, she was desperate for the peace of mind that the weekend offered to her, and she would not let talking about measly feelings and her issues to get in the way of her holding onto the little semblance of peace even if it was just for a while. "You know that. You know how I am so terrified of even type my name in google, scared of anyone who might figure it out. The precautions we go through to prevent me from getting discovered online as his former best friend. He belongs to the world now, Mom, he is not someone that I can say easily as 'oh he is my friend' casually. There are casualties for even associating with him. Once your name linked to him, the rest is history."

"And yet you get yourself into the situation that forces you to work with him for the open house and fundraising event," Audrey pointed out, picking up the mug from the table and sipped her hot green tea. Her eyes fluttered close as she relished the spreading warmth the tea must have provided. Even though she was well on her way to be a caffeine addict, Ginny had to admit that the drink had better points compared to coffee as both caffeinated beverages. But still, black coffee for the win.

There was no trace of judgment in Audrey's voice; her tone was as a matter of fact. She was right; it was Ginny's dumbass moment that landed her on this plate of trouble right now. Somehow, Ginny did not have it in her heart to wholly blame Daniel, even though he was the one that also dragged her into this debacle. One thing for sure, Principal Carson needed to stop being such a prickly middle-aged man who craved validation through making impossible decisions for his career by wanting to invite Axel.

Probably in the current chapter in her book of life, Principal Carson and Axel were the villains. Even though Ginny was not sure that her life was eventful enough like heroines in Fantasy novels to have a villain, but if there were any kind of villain for the slice of life genre, Principal Carson and her former best friend would qualify. It was ironic since Axel was not even supposed to be the villain in any chapter of her life. But it was what it was, the ink spilled, and the writings on the wall were already carved.