chapter 08

a/n: yes, another (two days) late update bc enrolling classes for my next semester is super hectic (server downs and all that) and chinese new year is almost here! enjoy the update! 

<><><>

"Is it just me, or you're having a hard time adjusting at school?"

Jacqueline looked up from her tray, her blue eyes stared back into Ginny's. It had been several weeks since senior year started and Ginny had not seen Jacqueline around the cafeteria after their first encounter.

At lunch, Ginny decided not to eat at her usual table with Noah, Clara, or her Student Council gang. It had been very much easier to avoid them, especially since she was still walking on eggshells with Clara. Noah only nodded, but she sensed his questioning stare while Clara had not been around. She was probably hanging around with her cheerleader squad and Ginny would rather not intervene.

The cheerleaders could be a vicious girl gang who would utilize their tight-knit-bond either to back each of their members up or to attack outsiders they did not see fit. Jacqueline Darnell, being a vulnerable new student with no group of friends to back her up, and very beautiful one to boot, would be an easy target.

Ginny was not surprised to find her sitting on the corner of the library, eating all by herself.

"You do realize that I am still obligated to look after you, for at least one quarter," Ginny informed, taking a seat beside Jacqueline, who still kept her head hung low. "Does anyone bothering you?"

This time, Jacqueline looked up and she shook her head. Her silence proved that she was having a hard time opening up to Ginny. Well Ginny was not exactly like a teddy bear personified like Noah could be. But she was well aware that her steadfastness could be the pillar that her friends (especially the Student Council folks) leaned on whenever they needed her.

"Then, why are you eating all by yourself in the library? You are more than welcome to join my table at the cafeteria. I think I've made it clear about that several weeks ago."

It was a miracle that this year, she had the same lunch time along with her other Student Council colleagues. Noah was also taking AP Classes, so his schedule was more often than not, similar to her. Planning Student Council meetings and having to consider more than ten students' schedule was a mess Ginny did not want to rehash ever again.

"I..." Jacqueline trailed off, as if something was holding her back from speaking. "I am not sure that I am welcome."

Jacqueline probably wanted to comment on the way Ginny seemed to treat their interaction like a business transaction. Sometimes, she could not help but to let her practicality took over the way she treated her surroundings.

Ginny peered her eyes closer into Jacqueline's face, her features were familiar enough for her, but not to the point she was sure she had seen her somewhere. Probably because Jacqueline was Melissa's cousin. The resemblance was there, but not that much until one could point that they were related. For one, Melissa was a natural brunette and Jacqueline had a blonde hair (if she did not dye it anyway). Even though their eyes were different in colors, the shape was exactly the same.

"So, what brings you here to Clover Springs?" Ginny asked, trying to make a conversation. If there was something she was good at, it was to make small talk seemed interesting than it actually was. "We don't exactly get new transfer students every day, so yeah you're a sort of rare case for us."

Her job in the library (read: bringing her laptop and continuing her college application essay) was done earlier and she was not keen on going back to the cafeteria or hanging around in the Student Council room.