chapter 16

a/n: while i had the time to upload this, i'm doing it now. ngl uploading takes a lot of my energy more than actual writing does. hence, enjoy fellows. 

<><><>

"It started when he started to get famous in YouTube." Ginny used the back of her hand to wipe the tears away. Shame and dread filled her, having to reveal how embarrassing that the great Virginia Dawson was also a human who was capable of having her heartbroken. Worse, Daniel was the one who sees herself unravel right with his own eyes. Part of her wanted to crawl into a hole and never see the daylight again, but another part told her that Daniel would not judge her.

Leaning against one of his bookshelves, Daniel crossed his arms against his chest and rolled his eyes. "Isn't that the beginning of every stardom story these days? From Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendes, well Shawn started on Vine, but you get the gist."

Ginny could not help but to snort. Only Daniel could crack such a sarcastic joke in times like these. Or maybe she was just being her dramatic self as usual. Somehow, having to explain what had happened once again to another person twisted her stomach. It had been years since she had to talk about it with anyone, the last person whom she talked about everything thoroughly was with Noah. Even then Ginny could barely gather her scattered wits while trying to set the narrative straight. "You're right, as cliche as it was, it is true. Well he often posted his videos of covering famous songs and you know what everyone says about him right? How he got that golden voice of our generation? Add that with his songwriting skills, it was only a matter of time before someone scouted him."

"And someday, they do," Daniel tentatively added.

"Yes," Ginny answered, closing her eyes, reminding herself to keep her composure and making sure that everything is told as according to the truth and not through her obviously biased perspective. She told herself that she would never stoop low enough to twist the narrative just like what Axel did. "Well there is a record label executive who conveniently was looking for undiscovered talent in the Internet and it seems to be his lucky day. The rest, as the saying goes, is history."

Daniel narrowed his eyes at her, obviously knowing that there were missing parts of the story she had yet to tell him. "There are missing links, Pres. A friendship wouldn't be destroyed like that just under normal circumstances. Fade away, yes, you might turn into strangers to each other. But you hated what he had done to you. Until you barely have your own social media these days and are so paranoid over the fact that our beloved Principal Carson is so persistent in inviting him to perform for our school."

"I would rather be strangers with him for the rest of my life if that means I would never have to talk to him ever again," Ginny exclaimed, wishing that it was indeed the case.

"Don't talk yourself out of this one, Pres."

"But that's what you want, right? The whole truth and the only truth?" She almost spat back the words at him and instantly regret started to take over. Daniel did not deserve her lashing out at him. He had only been helpful these days, especially talking back to Holland Rogerson like that. If that wasn't a display of camaraderie, then she had no idea what would be. "The truth is I am a weak person who had let the person she trusted and had cared about so dearly fooled her into the idea that he could ever love her back, okay? That's the gist. He started to be friends with this YouTuber who is known for his prank videos. His name is Cameron. Cameron Goodkin or Wilkins or Whatever, funny because there is nothing good about him.

"His haters had exceeded even the worse Youtubers and he really deserved that. Back then, both Axel and Cameron used each other to boost up their fame. Doing collaborations in videos and all that. And then, they decided to use me to boost up their fame. Cameron came up with the idea to have me confess my feelings for Axel and had it videotaped to upload it online. Of course, Axel went along with the plan. His fanbase was building up so rapidly even then while Cameron's social media career seemed to be going nowhere.