12

Although I've personally never tried it before, I thought that driving at night has to be one of the best things to do when one wants to clear their mind, especially when the roads are empty and the stereo in their car gives the best music.

That's kind of what Brad and I were doing. After walking out, Brad went to his car, then I followed after him. We went somewhere else to eat, then he decided to take me home, but he used the longer and quieter way to get to our college.

The road was completely desolate, scaring me a little, but the songs playing on the stereo kept me distracted. I looked at Brad, who was very focused on the road ahead of him as he freely went beyond the speed limit, then I took a deep breath.

"Can we talk?" I asked him, then he hummed his answer.

"Is that how your everyday life looks?" I sadly asked him, then he sighed.

"I'm sorry you had to witness that," Brad said, then it was my turn to sigh. Instinctively, I put my hand on his thigh, then he glanced at me.

"Pull over, will you?" I said, then Brad did so, looking at me as he pulled the handbrake up.

"You do know that they're treating you badly, right?" I asked, then Brad crossed his arms in front of him.

"I've known that from the start, thank you very much. No need to remind me," Brad said, then I looked down on my lap.

"Then why do you keep going home to them? You're an adult; you can be completely independent from them," I said, but Brad shook his head.

"I don't even have my own job, Roe. Sure, I have the band, but we're small. We don't earn much, or at least enough to cover all my expenses," Brad said.

"As far as I know, my dad still covers my bills until now. Going home whenever he demands me to is the least that I can do to make up for it. The little respect I have for him always wins, even though I end up heartbroken," Brad trailed off at the end, then I nervously played with my fingers.

"What happened to your mom?" I asked, remembering the words that made Brad throw a fit, then I looked at Brad, who was looking at me with a small frown.

"I was fourteen. I was all alone in my house when the phone started to ring. It was the hospital, and they told me that my mom was rushed there earlier. I skated all the way there to see my mom completely weak on her bed, the machines hooked to her keeping her alive. I contacted my dad, who was distraught because he was still at work. He just shrugged me off and said that he'd pay for all expenses, but that wasn't what I wanted...I wanted him to show sympathy for mom," Brad added, and I knew that his story was going to be hard.

"She was in the hospital for two months. I visited her everyday with any food of her choice, stayed with her at nights so that she could still help me with homework, and we spent her last days together. I'll never forget how I tried to get to her as fast as I could when the hospital called the house just when I arrived home from school. I kept wishing that it was just a dream; that the reason I'm called there is because she wants to personally say what meal she wanted me to cook. When I did get there, however, everything was final. She's already in a critical condition; she wasn't waking up," Brad said, and my tears couldn't help it. They were flowing from my eyes like waterfalls.

"I kept asking my dad if he could come over because I needed someone, and, of course, although they're divorced, they still married in the past, so I'm giving him the chance to say goodbye, at least. When I went back to the room, all the machines were already turned off, and my mom was just lying on the bed, awaiting her last breath. I sang for her that night, because she told me before that she wanted my voice to be the last thing she hears before passing away," Brad said, and he was also crying at this point.