16

Every Christmas season, the student organization that I was in holds an outreach program, where they go to an orphanage, give small but meaningful gifts, and do fun activities for the children in coordination with the holiday spirit.

As part of that organization, despite the fact that our finals were coming up, I had to wrap the gifts and attend the daily meetings for the event. Since I was a new member, I didn't get to be part of the organizing community. I didn't mind, however; wrapping gifts while listening to what our seniors had to say was fine by me.

What's not was that the meetings usually don't end until late at night. Because of that, I was forced to rent a bike since I was scared of walking at night and I had to get to my dorm as early as possible. To counter my fear, I sang quietly to myself along the way every time I would ride to my dorm.

What's good with the people in the organization was that everyone was so warm, welcoming, and inviting. They won't judge if one has lots of insecurities, and they'll help out if one can't do things on their own. They're few of the nicest people I've ever met, and I was not a people person, so that meant a lot to me.

When the meeting was adjourned, we all said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I took my bike from the bike stand and started to cycle to my dorm, which was around 5 minutes away. It's a good thing that the roads in the university were lit very well, because other people could see me and I'll be able to see if there were other people in front of me.

I started to sing, pretending that no one can hear me so that I won't get scared. After singing for a while, however, my plan started to backfire as I heard a car engine right behind me. I looked behind me and confirmed my suspicions, then I looked at the front again and went a little to the side, despite the fact that I was near the edge of the bike lane, where the car was on. Unfortunately for me, the car was also moving to the side when it was right next to me, and when there were literally two inches left before I fell to the side, I slapped the side of the car with my hand.

"Go back to your lane, asshole!" I yelled, but then the car hit my front wheel and occupied the whole bike lane, making me lose control of the bike and go out of balance. The bike below me tumbled, then my leg hit the ground and had no choice but to support my weight. I felt my face hit the warm pavement as pain dominated my entire body.

"Somebody help me, please!" I yelled, then I looked at my leg, which was bleeding and bent in an abnormal way. I tried to crawl and get away from my bike, but the sight of blood made me dizzy and weak, and my mind started to project hallucinations and blurry images of the ditch where I was at. I pushed out a tear, or two, as my vision started to darken, and my heart broke at the thought of waking up and figuring out that no one came looking for me the entire night.

---

Opening my eyes and seeing a white ceiling above me had never given me so much relief. I slowly shifted my eyes to the sides and saw that I was on a hospital bed, as suggested by the smell of antiseptics and disinfectants in the room. I discovered that the bed was slightly elevated, so I started to look around the room.

I saw two people talking with each other in the room. I felt a sudden heaviness in my head as I tried to grasp everything that happened, then I slowly started to move my body. The people with me must've noticed since they stopped their conversation, then they both walked toward me until I was able to distinguish that they were Ally and Tristan.

"Roe?" Ally called out, then I shuffled around more as I began to feel pain on my leg. Ally rushed to my side and gently placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Roe, just stay calm. Tris, call the nurse," Ally said, then Tristan did what he was told. Ally started to rub my shoulder to soothe me, then I grew calmer as the pain increased so that I won't cause a scene.