0 1

chapter one: the introduction of a new chapter

GIA PRACTICALLY JUMPED out the car just as her mother, Leslie parked. Melanie rolled her eyes playfully at Gia's eagerness to see her sister, Rue and knew that she missed her like crazy. Rue, Melanie's god-sister was now able to finally come back home after a summer of rehab and Mel was genuinely grateful.

"Rue!" Gia exclaimed as Rue walked out with her large suitcase. Rue dropped it and said, "come here!" Opening her arms out wide as Gia tackled her sister, engulfing her in a large hug.

Melanie got out the car second, her god-mother following her and she walked around the car, standing in front of it with her arms crossed around her chest. Mel's black, cat eye sunglasses hid her eyes and her curly brown hair was going crazy in the little bit of wind that came.

She didn't show it through her face but her feelings on Rue's end at rehab was only positive, there was no doubt about that but, of course, she couldn't help but feel their relationship had changed.

Melanie accepted that Rue was and addict but with that comes other things. She knew Rue and from the letters throughout the summer there was no way Rue was going to stay clean. Leslie and Melanie watched the two sister rekindle their relationship. It was like nothing ever happened.

Melanie hated to ignore the past but there was no reason to let those feelings get in the way of this moment. They had been counting down the days, hours and minutes. So Melanie would leave it alone. For now, of course.

Rue turned her attention to her mother and god-sister. She gave them a small smile and Melanie gave her a "what's up" type of nod, greeting her as Leslie gave the addict a small wave.

✞ ✞ ✞ ✞ ✞ ✞

The ride back to the Bennett's home was held with a comfortable silence. Melanie had her window open, looking out as the sun shined on her face, the wind licking at her forehead. The sun was halfway down; when they got home it would definitely be dark.

"I'm happy for you, Rue," Leslie said, grabbing all the girls attention. Rue lifted her head up and listened to her mother. "You're about to start a brand new chapter." Leslie used her arm to reach behind her and grasp Rue's. She looked back at her daughter, her eyes filled with hope. Rue smiled at her mom and Leslie after a few seconds peeled her hand back and put it old the wheel, making sure to look at the road again.

"You too, Melly." Leslie gazed at her mirror above to see Melanie's face and the young girl nodded softy, still staring at the scenery. Melanie wondered how school was going to be like. If Rue would Melanie looked over to Rue's window and saw a girl on a bike. She was pale and her hair was the blondest she'd ever seen with pink tips. Her clothes were interesting as well. The girl looked like she stepped out from the anime's Melanie used to watch when she was younger. She also had a cute little book bag on. Melanie looked at her god-sister who had already seemed interested in her and smirked.